Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird scouts....

Thumbs up Hummingbird scouts....

Just saw my first Hummingbird Scout. He was a Ruby Throat, so I mixed up a batch of food and went looking for our feeders. For the life of me I can't remember where we hid them last fall. CRS is a terrible thing to have. Guess I'll buy another in the morning.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    We do not solve problems by looking for answers; we solve them by eliminating questions.
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

Hey Iron, I bet you find them in the last place you look....I have had two scouts in the last week-ruby's (Ruby Begonia)
    Your karma just ran over my dogma!

We've had one feeder out for a few days, but haven't seen any hummingbirds.

Just curious, why do you call them "scouts?"

That's what my mother called the hummingbirds that arrived early. She said that they were looking for the best places for food and would somehow get the word out to the others. Probably just folklore.

Every year there is always one Hummingbird that shows up at our place and buzzes the screened door, if we haven't yet put out the feeders.
    We do not solve problems by looking for answers; we solve them by eliminating questions.
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by irondragon View Post
    That's what my mother called the hummingbirds that arrived early. She said that they were looking for the best places for food and would somehow get the word out to the others. Probably just folklore.
    Sounds like folklore to me!

Here's a site that lists questions and answers from a hummingbird expert. He says there aren't scouts, just early birds. Although I like the idea of a scout. How about let's you and me call the first one a scout? http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/hum...tAnswer08.html

No hummers here yet, although the feeder waits.

And in the spirit of the Great Pumpkin, I keep a fresh orange half out for the orioles. (The hummingbird expert says orioles will occasionally kill and eat a hummingbird.)

Looking for the misplaced jewels in the lint-filled pockets of society.

Put up your feeder. A hummer just showed up here. What a lovely treat.

Just put our feeders up - heres a link to a live cam of a hummers nest.
    http://www.phoebeallens.com/

Yep, although I had to ask my wife when she called. Good thing she has a memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Ishimon49 View Post
    Hey Iron, I bet you find them in the last place you look....I have had two scouts in the last week-ruby's (Ruby Begonia)