Forsythia pruning tutorial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forsythia pruning tutorial

Default Forsythia pruning tutorial

It's time for my semi-annual forsythia pruning tutorial. Get out there soon! If you're not prompt we will get to that 2 day period in spring where the bush isn't that ugly and you may lose your resolve.

Here is a forsythia thicket that has been permitted to run amok. Considerable pruning is called for.

As with all do-it-yourself projects, the first step is to assemble your tools. This chain saw is the only tool you'll need.

With your chainsaw, cut off the entire bush one inch above the earth. Maintain its newly pruned condition with your lawn mower. It's simple. Just mow the bush every time you mow your lawn. Here is a picture of properly pruned forsythia.

PM me if you have any questions.

Behold the power of the chainsaw. Not only will it prone your bush, it will also clear the snow and make the grass grow. Cool!

You murdered the spring harbinger! The cheerful yellow of hope!

I tried to prune a couple of winged elm's, using your method, now they are about 40 feet tall. What did I do wrong?
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by irondragon View Post
    I tried to prune a couple of winged elm's, using your method, now they are about 40 feet tall. What did I do wrong?
    Mr Dragon, I hate to offer an opinion without actually stopping by. My best guess, though, is that you did not follow up with the lawn mower part of the protocol. Do you remember? Could that be true? Now of course you'll have to start again with the chainsaw part.

Hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by blondeee View Post
    Behold the power of the chainsaw. Not only will it prone your bush, it will also clear the snow and make the grass grow. Cool!
    Hey Ron, Please bring that (magic) chainsaw over to my house. I need it for the snow removal.

My, my, that was a while ago! And I was a better writer then. Lots of water over the dam under the bridge in 3 years.

But I sleep well at night knowing I'm still doing my part to empower my forsythia-burdened neighbors.

Wow, Geekfest really has changed.

Holiday Island where it is prim and proper

yea, right

Only the names have changed to protect the.............oh never mind.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill