Geekfest Quick Start

Thread: Geekfest Quick Start

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Default Geekfest Quick Start

If you don't want to use all the wowie-zowie features, here's a quick way to get going on the new version of Geekfest:

LOG IN: Upper right hand corner of the page. Enter your user name & password.

VIEW TOPICS: Click on the links to the forums you want to read. (Then click on the links to individual topics.) Forums are the same as they were on the old version of Geekfest with two new additions: News (top), and Board Tech Support (under services.)

START A NEW TOPIC: Once you're in a forum (for example: Open Forum) you can start a new topic by clicking on the "New Thread" button. Look at the upper left hand corner of the screen for this button:

Whack the button. It will take you to a screen where you can enter the title and message for your topic. Then press the "Submit New Thread" button. There are all kinds of editing icons on the topic screen. Just ignore them if they freak you out.

REPLY TO A TOPIC: When you're reading an ongoing conversation and you have something to say, look at the upper left hand corner of the screen for this button:

Whack the button. It will take you to a screen where you can post your answer. Once again, just ignore all the editing icons (like bold, italics, add image, etc.) if you don't want to use them. (Or see "Quick Reply" below.) Then press the "Post Reply" button.

That's about it, folks. Everything else is just lagniappe.

Feel free to experiment with the other features as you get more comfortable and, please, post your questions here so everyone can participate in the Q&A. Guaranteed: If you have a question, somebody else does too.

Thanks and have fun!
    Last edited by Kim Yonkee; 01-22-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Just popping this back to the top for GF visitors who get intimidated by all the bells 'n whistles.

bump
    celeste

Cherish home and family as a special treasure.

Please remind me again.. how do I stay logged in? Every time I come back.. I'm out again. I've looked through the edit options.. ???
    Thanks.

How do I add an avatar other than the ones provided? Thank you!!

Susie, go to userCP up at the top.. choose edit avatar, then you will have a couple of options..
    either select a photo that you have placed in an online album, such as photobucket (which is what I use).. or you can click browse.. which will take you to your computers contents... select a photo from your own files.

Trouble is.. with that last one.. it has to be a tiny file.. under 20kb.. you may have to move it to photobucket, or tinypic and resize it.

good luck!
    pm me if you have questions.

BTW, leerless feader, the subscribed threads function became active to way back when as the new forum was uploaded. Everything I'd ever posted a reply to came up as a subscribed thread. Thought I'd mention a glitch I ran across. I 'religiously' unsubscribe to nearly everything I post upon & simply keep the ones like classifieds I am watching or selling.
    celeste

Cherish home and family as a special treasure.

Testing

In 'the New GF' is there a way to post a sound-track like a photo or something?

Also, is there a way to disable smilies so they stay disabled? When I tried to post a picture, it said I was exceeding my limit. When I went to manage attachments, it was showing smilies as an attachment. I disabled them, but they keep getting re- enabled. (Is that a word?) So the short version is, I can't add a photo.