Domestic helper wanted

Thread: Domestic helper wanted

Default Domestic helper wanted

For disabled but active senior woman, approximately 20 hours per week, paid $9.25 per hour. Must have car for running errands in town (Eureka Springs), vacuum, laundry, simple chores (no personal care). Relaxed pace, flexible schedule, easy work, but someone is needed who is fit enough to do the work without difficulty. Woman preferred. Background check required by Palco. https://palcofirst.com/programs/arkansas/ Will be paid by Palco, but I will be the one who does the hiring.
    Last edited by Aquene; 09-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Aquene - how did you find out about this program? I looked up their website, but didn't find much about how to qualify. Is there somewhere else that I can find information besides https://palcofirst.com/services/care-coordination/? I hope you can find someone. If you know of anyone interested that wants to work on the Berryville side, let me know, please!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Hi DaBee, I can't remember now how I found out about Palco, but I think it might have been through my case manager nurse with the Dept of Human Services. If you get Medicaid, Arkansas Choices, you can probably qualify--the qualifications are similar to those that make you eligible for a helper from an agency PCA or CNA, such as those who work for Superior Care, Better Home Care, etc, Area Agency on Aging, etc. The problem is finding a helper who will want to sign up with Palco, which is weird because I think it works better for both clients and helpers, but I guess it's because Palco doesn't advertise and so most people have never heard of it before. If a client doesn't need a lot of personal care, but mostly just help with household chores, etc. it works really well. The helpers don't have to have any kind of special training, they just need to be able to do the work, and pass a background check. Another advantage is that there isn't a limit to how many errands or outings the helper can take the client out for, which the agency rules limit. I will let you know.

I sent in a PALCO contact form to them about a week ago, but haven't heard anything back. Will try to get in touch with someone from DHS about it. I just don't know where to start.

Palco is slow to respond. DHS might be able to help, depending on your status.
    It will all go faster if you have already been declared eligible for help by DHS.If not, DHS will want to evaluate you, and probably see your doctor's reports, recommendations, etc. before going any further.
    Palco subcontracts with DHS, so they are subject to DHS rules, though they don't have quite the same agreement with DHS as agencies that provide PCAs, CNAs.
    Your physical condition is a factor in determining your eligibility, but your finances are also a determining factor.
    If you have too much regular income, have savings or property, etc. that are valued over their established limits, you won't qualify.
    Last edited by Aquene; 10-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.

I'll go by the DHS office in Berryville and talk to them. Thanks for your help, Aquene.

Most welcome, DaBee. Good luck!