Oriole bonanza - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oriole bonanza

Yes, a great showing this year - got a dozen, or more, hanging around. A big showing of Red-Breasted Grosbeaks, also. Haven’t seen any Orchard Orioles at all, though.
    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

We have two pair of Orchard Orioles here (so far).
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

We have both kinds of orioles, what a treat. I put out a Tupperware lid and filled it with hummingbird nectar and they are slurping it up. Rise breasted grosbeaks are hogging the sunflower seeds and the indigo buntings and bright yellow finches are at the thistle feeder. What a great turnout!

Default U doing good

Quote Originally Posted by Southwindcome View Post
    They just keep coming. There are at least a dozen orioles eating me out of house and home. The spectacular Baltimore orioles dominate, but this year there are more orchard orioles than before. Orchard orioles are very beautiful but in an understated way. Their colors are muted, and unlike their cousins, look like they actually came from this earth.

Orioles are still arriving, so if you'd like to be a host family put out some food for them. Impale an orange, cut side up on a nail sticking through a piece of wood. Next to the orange attach a small plastic container filled with grape jelly. Elaborate feeder, huh?

If this year is like the last two their numbers will build until one day near the end of May they all magically disappear.
    I haven't seen one yet, I will try your method. I would love to enjoy what you are seeing. I am happy for you.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

I used any jelly available and put the oranges out in the open.
    "There IS no reason not to follow your heart".
    Steve Jobs-Apple Founder

Yes it was a good show this year & I did eventually have a pair of Orchard orioles. They left a few days ago, right after I’d gone everywhere & finally found 3 jars of jelly to buy. So glad I didn’t open one the last day.
    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

Just noticed one on the Hummingbird feeder so I put out some grape jelly. Maybe just traveling through though.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill