Oriole bonanza - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oriole bonanza

I followed SW's advice and it took only two days before I treated to a steady display of orange streaks through my trees. What a joy. Now I need to know where the best deals on cheep oranges and generic jelly can be found. Thanks for the inspiration.

Didn't have an orange so, despite my protest, we now have two lemon halves out with the grape jelly. May be some puckered birds around here.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzFreaK View Post
    lol, that's great. From love to hate, cracked me up
    Yes, aren't we amazing? I still love them. Just as one might continue to love a woman even though she costs you way more than is good for you. But there are limits--in both sectors of expense.

A examination of wretched excess (as in 3 dozen orioles eating everything in sight) is conducted in this parody of The Twelve Days of Christmas: http://www.lucidmoonpoetry.com/essay...s/12days.shtml

They are here! I put out a fresh batch.. and came home to orange flashes in the trees!

Patience.. ha ha ha..

I once shook my fist at the heavens, when the twins were very young.. and declared:
    "If this is supposed to be teaching me patience... it isn't working!!!"

Find it so strange that here in northern Oklahoma the orioles stay the entire summer. Arrive sometime in April and don't leave until sometime in October. Mine won't touch the orange halves but the mockingbirds and catbirds love the oranges. The orioles devour the grape jelly for maybe two months along with the nectar. Then go to just the nectar. Maybe later in the summer it gets too hot for the jelly--have no idea. But they are gorgeous birds and such a delight to watch.

I, too, have orioles - at least a dozen Baltimore and a couple of orchard orioles. They are so beautiful that I find it difficult to accomplish anything but watch them. Also have an indigo bunting and rose-breasted grosbeck. Such beauty!!

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

It's really amazing.

We were out at SWC 'n Raven's yesterday, picking up some tomato, pepper & basil plants (which are happily digging their toes in the ground... and thanks!) and the Orioles were everywhere. Gorgeous.

My frustration grew after a week of having lots of orange feeders & grape jelly out...so my daughter decided to put her phone out in the garden near the feeders & put a youtube audio 'loop' of Baltimore orioles singing. Within an hour, we had 3 orioles. Now there are more than a dozen every morning, so... "if you build it they will come".

They are back.
    Noticed several yesterday at the Hummingbird feeders so I put out some grape jelly. Today there are three pair at the feeder.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

Beaver Lake off Mundell Rd, Eureka Springs

It's a wonderful year for orioles by Beaver Dam. In addition to nectar, oranges & jelly, they are devouring apples & suet.

Debbie