Oriole bonanza - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oriole bonanza

Naughty bird you are this morning.

Only one oriole is coming to my feeder and he is a bright yellow guy. Compared to the little gold finches, he is quite the blingbling bird!

I have Orioles eating out of all my feeders, mixed seeds, suet, hummingbird in addition to the grape jelly and orange set out for them. I didn't anchor the last orange very good, so it's now on the floor of the deck and they're eating it there. I've spent the last several days watching them from the windows. Wish I could get pictures good enough to post, but they are so skittish, if I move they scatter. Thank you, SWC, for enlightening me to these beauties and how to attract them. Now tomorrow I'll be off to the store for more bird food!

Thumbs up About Time

They're here! Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by islandvideo View Post
    They're here! Finally!
    So don't the rest of you give up. The birds are still moving and they could stop at your house soon. Keep your jelly and oranges fresh. That's not an issue for me because they now eat a quart of jelly a day plus 1 1/2 oranges.

OMG Ron, you were right! I can't believe it! Yesterday morning, May 11th!, almost a whole month after the rest of you had their first Oriole they have finally arrived at my house up here in the Indian Hills of Holiday Island. Today there are about dozen of those orange colored beauties. It's unreal!

Thank you for this thread and to all of you that posted about their Orioles.
    Without you I would have given up a long time ago and never experienced this
    wonderful pleasure.
    Last edited by madeinbavaria; 05-12-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Craig says they are here really early in the am.. I guess 9 is too late!!

They are here right now. They're gonna munch away until it gets dark.
    I really need to do some work, but I just can't tear myself away from the window. It's too much fun. They buzz and chirp and fight with each other to get to the jelly and the fruit.

(Bad pic, I know. The screen is really sharp! But I am just so excited I wanted you all to see my birds)

Those little bastards are eating me out of house and home. By yesterday afternoon there was no generic grape jelly to be had in Holiday Island. Guess it's not just me. I'm going through 2 quarts a day now. Delightful as they are, I remember being relieved last year when, around Memorial Day, they moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwindcome View Post
    The spectacular Baltimore orioles dominate, but this year there are more orchard orioles than before. Orchard orioles are very beautiful but in an understated way. Their colors are muted, and unlike their cousins, look like they actually came from this earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwindcome View Post
    Those little bastards are eating me out of house and home.
    lol, that's great. From love to hate, cracked me up