Downtown fireworks approved? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downtown fireworks approved?

Quote Originally Posted by irondragon View Post
    We couldn't see them because of the trees surrounding our place. Sure could hear them two miles north of town though. Did any of the gloom & doom happen that folks were worried about?
    NO.

I also find it amusing that a celebration of this countries freedom and independence that has been historically celebrated with fireworks for almost 2 and a half a half centuries is at risk in a small town because a few people want to take that freedom and history away. Ironic.

"On July 8, 1776, the first public readings of the Declaration were held in Philadelphia's Independence Square to the ringing of bells and band music. One year later, on July 4, 1777, Philadelphia marked Independence Day by adjourning Congress and celebrating with bonfires, bells and fireworks."

freedom's just another word....

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    freedom's just another word....
    One that some factions in our country are trying to erase. Starting with erasing all public displays of history.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

if fireworks give you the sense of freedom and liberty for all, have at it.
    for some folks on main, it was a lot of booming which rattled their windows, upset animals, etc.

yes, my proposal for folks would be some venue that invited everyone: was easy to traverse for all ages, had multiple entrances/exits, _______________add your thoughts. I did love when they where at the holiday island marina; easy, could motor by boat or car, etc.

leatherwood was too scary for me with only one way in and out. bad for emergencies.

It's way too late to bring your reasons and insights into this. You've already let your alligator mouth overload your tadpole ass.

Remember, "Freedoms just another word". A word and ideal that millions of people have died and been maimed for and continue to do so.
    Remember that next time you fell trod upon. "It's just another word."

Yo Barbear: You really sound like an asshole.

as a citizen, i did call all the council people before their second meeting and expressed my thoughts about the fireworks.

"A few people want to take that freedom away" is a crock of shit. This is the first time fireworks have invaded the Historic District.

Parks' lack of transparency on the issue is what IS the threat to our freedom-- backroom deals, clandestine methods and piss poor attitudes when questioned.

We've been doing things "historically" since...??? Just because we shot off fireworks in 1777 in downtown Philadelphia does not mean we should be shooting them off downtown Eureka (in the Historic District no less) in 2019. Especially when other countries are opting for silent fireworks displays and doing away with them altogether in favor of establishing new, modern and and less obnoxious and dangerous celebratory activities. Not to mention the threats to wildlife and pets.

There is nothing about adding fireworks to the Historic District that fits with Parks' mission: "Preserve, Protect, Enhance"- in fact, it's diametrically opposed to all 3. No surprise there.