Downtown fireworks approved? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Downtown fireworks approved?

city hall sent out a request to businesses to see how they faired with fireworks; meaning did their customers say, " we came here for the fireworks". they didn't.

there was almost no advertising outside of locally that i could find. the capc website as i recall was sort of ambivalent about it. parks had nothing on their calendar of events.

from what i've heard, the crescent was the big money maker that night.

larry and i walked up cliff street and saw some of it from an opening in the trees.

so what did that 8 grand+ garner us?

every year, i say the same thing...put a little sprinkler in the park for our guests and locals. that, imho, would be 8 grand well spent.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

[QUOTE=Percy;2644604]"A few people want to take that freedom away" is a crock of shit. This is the first time fireworks have invaded the Historic District.

Parks' lack of transparency on the issue is what IS the threat to our freedom-- backroom deals, clandestine methods and piss poor attitudes when questioned.

Thanks for this whole post... my sentiments exactly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    I did love when they where at the holiday island marina; easy, could motor by boat or car, etc.
    That was a good display, but I was there when the whole thing blew up and it caused me to see the ridiculousness of the whole fireworks concept and intent.
    The Crescent made money out of the display this past 4th? - how'd they do that?

The newspaper photos at the library state differently and these are from N. Main at 9:20PM seem to state differently as well. Verifiable visible fact versus gossip fiction. Let your eyes decide.

20190706_211934a.jpg20190706_212401ajpg.jpg
    Last edited by The Barbear; 07-19-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Cameron, how many people do you think came to town just to see the fireworks? how many tourists knew there were fireworks being planned for Saturday? I had calls from friends who thought it was on the 4th, not the 6th...and they are locals.

i see some folks in pictures. i also see a lot of emptiness.

i remember the holiday island explosion. we were on a boat and we'll never forget the running of bodies on the shore from of the exploding trailer.

now about that sprinkler in the park....

I see a lot of emptiness on the streets right this moment, but the Eureakan is supposed to bring hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. I don't see them. As for a head count. I didn't take one because I was enjoying the fireworks show which was for EVERYONE to enjoy, if they wanted to get off the couch or walk 50 feet for a clear view.
    The Holiday Island explosion has nothing to do with this unless you decide to live in fear of what may or what could or may-hap or what did. As a citizen, I chose not to live in fear and panic and a constant state of crisis, because that solves nada. I guess it boils down to the individual.

As for a sprinkler in a park. Maybe you could put together a proposal and come to a meeting and present that proposal in a level headed, intelligent, non judgmental manner so it could be examined.
    You complain when nothing is planned or done and complain when something is done and planned, then you complain afterwards because you would have done it differently or because it wasn't cleared through your accepted channels or your cronies. Yet, interestingly, I don't see you doing anything. Pat, you can be a reasonable and intelligent human when you allow it, how about shifting gears and and become a part of positive action and solution instead.
    Last edited by The Barbear; 07-19-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Cameron, interesting that you know not about my life and yet feel compelled to comment. Truthfully, I don't think I need to justify my existence to you (very trump-esque, no?) or do I?

Indeed, We both have a right to our opinions about an issue. This other stuff is other people talking through you, I think.

Yes, I have brought up sprinklers in the past...(38 years..please).I have gone to the table with lists....nothing....That's part of the challenge when there is no diversity at the table by having the same leadership for 10 + years.

I feel compelled to remind you and other newer readers the thinking behind voting in the first park's tax.The tax was passed because we understood that the parks around town needed to be maintained for our guests and ourselves, while keeping Leatherwood primitive for ourselves and future generations, (knowing the world would get more crowded and we needed to keep some small natural spaces as a commitment to mother earth).

So fast forward and along comes the new extreme downhill trails, (not the old regular walking/biking trails) that parks "had to" commit to in one night. Oh yes, the were whispers ahead of the meeting but no real transparency. Suggestions of, "slow down!" "Let's make this happen in a way where we can all be proud," were ignored. We commited without know all the costs to our pocketbooks, short and long term or our environment, short and long term.

If you look at our nearby big towns, that were also faced with erecting extreme downhill trails, they didn't jump. Instead, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and even Springdale, have spent years working on long term plans in growths for all their parks by including their people in every step of their processes because they understand inclusivity.

Fireworks, love em. wish that we, you as one of the commissioners, would be more inclusive about informing and asking the local community about needs and wants.What kind of follow-up is parks doing so they can learn from this?

Another recent example is the dog park. people raised money to get it built. Parks is supposed to maintain it but now say can't? How come? if Parks can't maintain something, they shouldn't do it.

Free summer programs for the kids.

Enjoy!

Cameron, interesting that you know not about my life and yet feel compelled to comment. Truthfully, I don't think I need to justify my existence to you (very trump-esque, no?) or do I?

Indeed, We both have a right to our opinions about an issue. This other stuff is other people talking through you, I think.

Yes, I have brought up sprinklers in the past...(38 years..please).I have gone to the table with lists....nothing....That's part of the challenge when there is no diversity at the table by having the same leadership for 10 + years.

I feel compelled to remind you and other newer readers the thinking behind voting in the first park's tax.The tax was passed because we understood that the parks around town needed to be maintained for our guests and ourselves, while keeping Leatherwood primitive for ourselves and future generations, (knowing the world would get more crowded and we needed to keep some small natural spaces as a commitment to mother earth).

So fast forward and along comes the new extreme downhill trails, (not the old regular walking/biking trails) that parks "had to" commit to in one night. Oh yes, the were whispers ahead of the meeting but no real transparency. Suggestions of, "slow down!" "Let's make this happen in a way where we can all be proud," were ignored. We commited without know all the costs to our pocketbooks, short and long term or our environment, short and long term.

If you look at our nearby big towns, that were also faced with erecting extreme downhill trails, they didn't jump. Instead, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and even Springdale, have spent years working on long term plans in growths for all their parks by including their people in every step of their processes because they understand inclusivity.

Fireworks, love em. wish that we, you as one of the commissioners, would be more inclusive about informing and asking the local community about needs and wants.What kind of follow-up is parks doing so they can learn from this?

Another recent example is the dog park. people raised money to get it built. Parks is supposed to maintain it but now say can't? How come? if Parks can't maintain something, they shouldn't do it.

Free summer programs for the kids.

Enjoy!
    I know about you by what our put out there, Pat. I've said it before and will say it again. You can be a reasonable and intelligent person when you allow it. But you seem to gloss over the sideways compliment or don't agree you can be reasonable and intelligent.
    You also forget that I am citizen and am allowed to have my private views and keep them separate from Parks. When people come and ask to speak to me in an official manner about Parks. Then I'm all ears and immediately take action if it is something I can take action on. But if you want to complain, whine and be a misinformed bully, I'm not interested. The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it also becomes ambient noise and is quickly forgotten.

Know if anything is being done or at least addressed about the Dog Park?

Parks has written up a plan and timeline that includes cleaning up the park by the end of this month, fixing the broken gate and addressing the problem with the wash out from the road. I believe they are looking also to form a new committee to help with future sustainability.