lead in our water

Thread: lead in our water

Default lead in our water

I have moved this from facebook to here.

Joyce Knowles
    4 hrs
    “...expanding our lead monitoring…”
    --Mayor Butch Berry in State of the City Report February 11, 2019
    It’s not what he said but what he didn’t say. When he made this declaration the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I knew that only an actionable level of lead would trigger enhanced monitoring. So what happened?

How does lead get in our water?

“Lead seldom occurs naturally in water supplies like rivers and lakes, and lead is rarely present in water coming from a treatment plant. Lead enters drinking water primarily as a result of corrosion or wearing away of materials in the water distribution system and household plumbing that contain lead.”
    “Additionally, in 1991, the EPA published the Lead and Copper Rule. This rule requires that all public drinking water systems regularly test a sample of high-risk homes for lead at the tap. If more than 10 percent of homes tested have lead concentrations higher than the EPA “action level” of 15 parts per billion, individual water utilities are required to notify area residents via newspapers, radio, TV and other means. If the lead level remains consistently above the action level, the water supplier must take steps to control corrosion.”
    https://drinktap.org/Water-…/Whats-i.../Lead-In-Water

“FLINT, MI -- Lead levels in the city's most at-risk homes have been below the federal action level for two straight years, including the first six months of 2018, the state Department of Environmental Quality says.”
    “Lead and Copper Rule testing in Flint from Jan. 1 to June 30 showed 90 percent of samples at or below 6 parts per billion of lead, well below the federal threshold of 15 ppb.”
    https://www.mlive.com/…/90_percent_o...ter_samp.html…

Eureka Springs levels have been rising since 2012

2018 14 From Trent Gephart, Arkansas Dept of Health
    2015 11 From City website
    2012 4 From City website

http://www.cityofeurekasprings.us/…/...uality-reports

What triggered the “expanding lead monitoring” which the mayor quickly glossed over and did not to explain in his State of the City Report?

I spoke with Trent Gephart at the Arkansas Department of Health yesterday. The Consumer Confidence Reports are still about 2-3 weeks away from the start of publication.
    However, he was able to give me our most recent level of testing from 2018 which is 14. The median for the state is 3.

Trent corroborated that lead levels increase due to corrosion. Lead does not come from the water at the source, in this case Carroll-Boone Water District. It comes from low ph levels at the source, in this case Carroll-Boone Water District, which promote corrosion.

Harrison has lead issues. Their lead levels of 41 are above the actionable level of 15. Therefore, Carroll-Boone Water District has added treatment to raise the ph and reduce the corrosion.

This is the same water supplied to:
    Harrison 41 ppb-2017 test date
    Eureka Springs 14-2018
    Alpena 7-2017
    Berryville 4-2017
    Green Forest 3-2017

This action requires them all to submit to mandatory enhanced testing. The mayor would have us believe this is something City Hall did but it was required by the state.

What it means is rather than testing our water for lead every 3 years, we will now test every 6 months for the next two years at two times the sample rate.

Of the 625 cities tested, ten had levels the same or higher than ours putting us in the top 2% of cities with the highest lead levels based on testing between 2015-2017.

These cities have the highest lead levels
    Black Oak 12 ppb-2015 test date
    Cottonwood W.A. 27-2017
    Delight 14-2017
    Grady 11-2017
    Hackett 12-2017
    Harrison 41-2017
    Oden Pencil Bluff 13-2015
    So. Hills Water Sys. 18-2017
    Tri-County Water 11-2015
    Van Buren Co W.A. 13-2015
    Eureka Springs 14-2018

www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/ccr/ccr.html

What is safe?

“Action levels for lead are 15 in more than 10% of customer taps sampled. An action level is the level for enforcement.
    The maximum contaminant level goal is zero. This is the level determined to be safe according to toxicological and biomedical considerations, independent of feasibility.”
    https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=34&po=8

“No safe blood lead level in children has been identified. Even low levels of lead in blood have been shown to affect IQ, ability to pay attention, and academic achievement. And effects of lead exposure cannot be corrected.”
    https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/acclpp...ead_levels.htm

#lead

Just as predicted, the levels of lead would increase with the mandated addition of fluoride to the Carroll Boone water district (remember that). Thank you Arkansas legislators. Thankfully I don't have to depend on Carroll Boone for my water.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Hey, ID and LW - sucks to be the rest of us.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

What were our lead levels before the addition of fluoride. Or did I overlook that.

Allen said prior to fluoridation, water samples were taken in Eureka Springs and sent to the state laboratory, but there was such a backlog testing results weren’t received until November. He said those results showed the city was already close to exceeding lead limits. “Our 2015 ninetieth percentile for lead was 0.011 mg/l and 0.24 mg/l for copper, which does not leave much leeway for increased lead leaching,” he said
    https://securetherepublic.com/arkans...oisoned-water/
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

from 2016
    Allen said prior to fluoridation, water samples were taken in Eureka Springs and sent to the state laboratory, but there was such a backlog testing results weren’t received until November. He said those results showed the city was already close to exceeding lead limits. “Our 2015 ninetieth percentile for lead was 0.011 mg/l and 0.24 mg/l for copper, which does not leave much leeway for increased lead leaching,” he said.

Water testing results post-fluoridation aren’t yet available. Rather than waiting another 90 days to get results of water testing after fluoridation to see if lead levels have increased, Public Works plans in-house testing. “I will have some results the first of February,” he said. “We want to make sure our in-house tests are accurate and cannot be dismissed. My five-year plan includes more lead line removal as well as asbestos cement removal.”

Allen said if testing indicates lead levels in drinking water have increased, it puts the city in a difficult situation.

“If lead comes back high, it is on us to deal with it,” he said. “If our levels are proven to be increasing, I would request aid from the state and CBWD. But the high costs of pipe replacement would in all probability have to be covered by Eureka Springs.”