the newest ordinance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the newest ordinance

Default the newest ordinance

Council is batting about an ordinance which has my attention. And it should have all of us thinking.

Say the city comes onto your property to fix something, say sidewalk, trash, ...whatever. And say you haven't the money to pay the city for this work.

With this new ordinance, the city will have the right to put their bill on your property tax bill for payment.

So the next year, when you open that property tax bill, could it be 10,000.? 25000.? Will the city have the right to take my property if I cannot pay it?

This is a dangerous line for us and I hope we all start talking about it and contacting our neighbors. I am open to conversations about our town.

If I couldn't pay the city in the first place, how will I pay it in the second place?

Citizens?

I would love to give my sidewalk to the city. It needs lots of work.
    - bikeguy

DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN !

That's just one more reason, I don't live in the city.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

I can't get anything done on the city side of my property, I sure as hell don't want them on my side working. We need to stop this.

Call your council people. This ordinance crosses a line that makes me uncomfortable.
    For example, who gets to decided what, who and where?
    For example, We all know if your name is -, you will never get a ticket.

I don't understand the issue here. This done around the world in the form of a lien. If the property owner violates law or ordinance then they are given the opportunity to fix it. In the case of sidewalks its 6 months. If after that six months they are not repaired then the municipality does it and charges the property owner for it or put a lien against the property deed. its a very common practice.
    It"s such a shocker to some people here because the city does not enforce its ordinances typically. It sounds to me like they are getting ready to and in doing so the sidewalks, streets tourism and community on a whole will reap long term benefits. We constantly hear how we want things fixed and want Eureka to get with the "program". Oh wait...Only if it doesn't interfere with our lives, comfort level and self set levels or responsibility? Not sure if that can work.

For example, who gets to decided what, who and where? The people we elected and those whom work for the city. Mayor, City Attorney, Inspectors, officers, Etc...
    For example, We all know if your name is ———-, you will never get a ticket. Rolls eyes.
    Last edited by The Barbear; 12-07-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    ​​Money is not community.

I am not opposed to a lien but crossing into the domain of adding it to ones property taxes, which has its own criteria seems illegal.

I don't it's illegal because if the way Arkansas does personal property taxes. Also attaching it to the yearly taxes means the city will not have to wait for the property owner to refinance irbtty to sell before getting paid
    Look at it this way. There are a few extremely wealthy people who own most if downtown. They can afford to fix their sidewalks but have chosen not to for decades. Now their hand is being forced and I feel no sympathy for them.
    In short: If you are a property owner have some pride in it or pay the consequences.

this isn't only about sidewalks. It is about anything that the city may decides needs action, like overgrown yards or too much trash or whatever.
    In my years of living here, it is only the little guy that gets "punished" otherwise the sidewalks would have already been done, yes? We have never issued tickets, some letters maybe. We bring it up, like a garage, like a stop light, a swimming pool, whatever, every few years and nothing happens. Now why is that?

i still believe that it is illegal to attach it to a property bill.

The sidewalks are an example Patricia. Quit trying to start a fight and argue and learn to accept what others may be saying. You are generally impossible to talk to because you jump to irrational overly emotional conclusions in a microsecond without thinking things through. Then you wonder why City Hall and the Commissions generally turn a deaf ear to you or look at you like you're bat-shit crazy.

That is the city officials JOB! To operate the city in a manner that is conducive to business, public safety and the pursuit of happiness ( It does not state that you will catch happiness, just be allowed to pursue it.) and general well being of its citizens.
    If you are always so hell bent on getting things done then get out there and do it! Yet your constant complaining and conspiracy theories has accomplished nothing. Why is that? Maybe you should change your approach??
    Oh, and before you go waving your 20 year old flag about the recycling you brought to Eureka. We get it. We thank you. NEXT!

There's a yellow house on N. Main that looks like shit! Junk and trash everywhere. It is an eyesore to every person that drives down N. Main and all surrounding property owners. It should be cleaned up. The city has tried for years and the owners remain non-compliant. So everyone else should have to look at this mess because the property owners have issues? Bullshit!
    A stop light? WTF do we need a stop light for? So people can get to Harts 15 seconds faster then they might without one?
    A Swimming pool? LOLROF. I know who you can talk to about that. It was one of their selling points for their multi million dollar project.

Just put up another sign in your yard and save yourself some damn energy and the rest of us some damn sanity. Christ on a cracker.
    Last edited by The Barbear; 12-08-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    ​​Money is not community.