Lgbtqs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lgbtqs

Default Lgbtqs

I know I may get a beating for this, but I have thought for quite a while that it is about time that Straights were included, not excluded from the rest of the community. Am I wrong to think this?

I have never felt excluded. I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidwindows View Post
    I have never felt excluded. I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.
    I don't anyone feels excluded. That's why I wish that there was an S in the LGBTQ Community equation. That has bothered me for a long time. Oh well.

Trust me. You're not missing a damn thing.
    In the end we all die. Therefore you are included.

So true, Barbear. The letters are overused as political rhetoric. When it comes down to it, I'm just as diverse as anyone else.

If we are all special, then no one is.
    ​​Money is not community.

Not special, but I certainly hope not separate. I don't see how we can talk about sexual diversity without including everybody. That is why I prefer LGBTQS.

I've always sat on the fence with the concept of "Diversity". To me it's a very flawed notion at it's foundation.
    If we are so busy trying to get everyone to accept the ways we are different, when are we going to acknowledge the ways in which we are the same? I would rather work with established common ground versus a vague broad stroking idea.
    On another point. Why does anybody need to know anyone's sexual practices and activities? Why can't people just have sex and STFU?
    Last edited by The Barbear; 12-04-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Terri--
    I think the difference is that LGBTQ refers to a group that is excluded, derided, and discriminated against by some, but by no means all, S. And to LW's point, I personally have never felt excluded by my LGBTQ friends and neighbors. However I know that some of my S neighbors have made nasty remarks and don't associate with LGBTQ folks.

One of the first comments I received from a neighbor when we first moved here, in response to my statement that we really liked Eureka Springs, was that "Yeah, it's a great town, but it has really gone downhill since the gays took over." The nasty remarks (to me) stopped when I mentioned that one of our daughters is lesbian and I found the remarks offensive.

So, I think the term LGBTQ has merit in identifying a group that some S feel should be excluded. It would be great if that differentiation were not necessary, but, alas, today that is not the case.

Just my opinion.

--Grunch
    "Knowledge is good." --John Faber: Philosopher, Educator, Founder of Faber College (Animal House)

I agree with everything everybody is saying! Growing up with bullying is something I think everyone has gone through. And all of it doesn't matter, except it hurts like hell, and can ruin lives. I was bullied when I was young for being a goody good. When I moved here in 1975 I was 22 years old and naive. Back then in Eureka, the catchword was "Eureka, where the misfits fit." Actually, I felt like the misfit, because I wasn't a lesbian. But here I am now, in this crazy world, and I am still confused about how angry people are, and I am sure it is because they are hurting. I just wanted to get people to talk about it, how they feel. Thank you for doing that. And really, I don't want to know about sexual preferences, and now that gay rights are being realized, I just wish all the talk about it would end.