President's Alert Message
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President's Alert Message

Default President's Alert Message

I had to find out what the general reaction was out in America to the Trumpster's use of the Emergency Broadcast System today, so I looked around online. Many people made fun, of course, but not as many seemed as incensed as I was. It feels like a precursor to worse things to come to me. And apparently, I'm not too far off the mark, because I also found info that across the political spectrum, plans are in motion to begin sending unsolicited texts "in order to reach voters." It's not enough that I have to be bombarded outside my home, but now stupid crap is going to be rolling, uninvited, into my personal phone???? What the hell?

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Is there no way to keep from receiving these particular texts? I can't figure out how to block it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

It didn't make it to my non-smart Trafone. Might just be that a phone without all the bells and whistles is the way to go to avoid Big Brother Donald~

I looked up options to block such messages and texts, and word is it canít be done. I turned my phone off so at least it was my choice when to be bothered. Irks me to no end.

If a true emergency (not a test) were to occur and you weren't notified, I imagine everyone would be bitching about how "Big Brother Donald" dropped the ball.
    I hear about people bitching that Amber Alerts are not issued in a timely manner. So which is it, no notifications or only at your convenience.
    I'm sure that the people where the recent tsunami hit would love to have had a system like this in place.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

I wish they had called it the FEMA alert system. There are so many people lately who absolutely hate whoever is president that I fear many will delete them unread simply because the don't want to hear whatever the president is saying. This was true when Obama was president as well, and Bush before him. The nation is so divided between those who want social democracy and those who want totalitarian fascism that whoever is in the White House at the time is likely to be ignored by vast numbers of people.

You have a point, ID. I just don't remember a president being directly involved in sending an alert in the past. This particular president just has to be in everybody's face continually, so the alert thing seemed like one more way to intrude into my personal space. Yes - the system is good and necessary. It's misuse is what I fear.

LW, I think you nailed it. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidwindows View Post
    I wish they had called it the FEMA alert system. There are so many people lately who absolutely hate whoever is president that I fear many will delete them unread simply because the don't want to hear whatever the president is saying. This was true when Obama was president as well, and Bush before him. The nation is so divided between those who want social democracy and those who want totalitarian fascism that whoever is in the White House at the time is likely to be ignored by vast numbers of people.
    Agree. In fact, I suspect that a lot of the people complaining about this now would have thought it was a peachy keen idea if it had happened during the Obama administration. And those who like it would have been horrified.

What I don’t understand are the examples they keep giving. A missile attack? Where are they going to hit? Even if they know and it’s here, what am I supposed to do about it other than the old head between the legs and kiss your ass goodbye solution. A tsunami? Seriously? Living here in Arkansas I can’t imagine any type of tsunami I need to worry about. Are they going yo notify the people in Seattle every time there’s a tornado warning in Oklahoma?

Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me...

I think the nation should know when the bridge at Parker's Bottom is closed.
    - bikeguy

DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN !

There's a bridge at Parker's Bottom?
    I agree with LW & MM, I think the text alerts are for National emergencies.

Wonder if they can be directed to different regions of the country. Tsunami to Hawaii or the coast lines. Out of control Frat party in the N. East, conservatives taking over Berkley. something like that.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill