Who runs Eureka?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who runs Eureka?

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Default Who runs Eureka?

I recently finished the book “Our Towns” by James & Deborah Fallows. (You may know him if you read, “The Atlantic.”)

The two of ‘em spent several years flying around the US in a prop plane, interviewing small town America. The general premise of the book is that, though people feel pretty bleak about the national situation, they feel positive and hopeful about their own communities. It’s a book that describes different ways towns work to succeed.

At the end of the book, the Fallows’ present a list of common themes among successful towns. One of them is, “If we asked people ‘who makes things happen here; who runs things?’ most people had an answer.”

I thought, “Huh. If somebody asked me that about Eureka I’d have no idea what to say.”

Thoughts?

Overworked and under-paid or volunteer people with huge hearts mostly make things happen from what I've seen.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

it's about money....start with the banks and their board members. Then find the relationships. I think we are run by cops who get their orders from ????

Truly think about the council/mayor. They have known for many years that one person has sat as a chair of a commission for more than 10 years. To my way of thinking a commission should be a composite of its citizens, so that when the commission reaches consensus on any issue, it is with all opinions being duly represented and discussed. (please remember I am an idealist)
    The fact that the mayor/council have done nothing to alter this situation speaks volumes, no?

And since parks has claimed to be making money now, how about we take away one of their 2 taxes that they get and direct it to the Auditorium? Put that on the November ballot, I challenge you!

Default Sometimes the only way to get it right is to do it yourself

Collect the signatures and let the people have at it. I happen to agree with everything you said. I don't live in town, don't want to and can't legally petition for a ballot... but I agree with everything you say, I challenge you! I'll donate to your efforts.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

it would be great if the city would put it on the ballot with their own motion since we are already going to the polls. It wouldn't be too hard to do should they choose. the make a motion, it passes, then the city attorney prepares the title for ballot and it is a go.

Master Blaster runs barter town.

currently, gravity is running thangs, based on all the holes about town.

but once the sewer infrastructure disentegrates, there will be a new sheriff in town, and hes one dirty old man. good ol mr hanky poo, himself. he'll ruin your day, night, shoes, dress, supper and anythang else he can. shows up with a bad attitude and worse intentions, despite his constant, shit-eating grin. he's a stinker, fosho, yet poo poos the thought of his own turds stanking. his smear tactics are ruthless, and once he starts stirring shit up, the brown water rises and like snoop dogg said - if that bitch can't swim, then i reckon she's bound to drizzown. . .
    Last edited by yallare2funny; 06-24-2018 at 12:43 AM.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Quote Originally Posted by yallare2funny View Post
    currently, gravity is running thangs, based on all the holes about town.

but once the sewer infrastructure disentegrates, there will be a new sheriff in town, and hes one dirty old man. good ol mr hanky poo, himself. he'll ruin your day, night, shoes, dress, supper and anythang else he can. shows up with a bad attitude and worse intentions, despite his constant, shit-eating grin. he's a stinker, fosho, yet poo poos the thought of his own turds stanking. his smear tactics are ruthless, and once he starts stirring shit up, the brown water rises and like snoop dogg said - if that bitch can't swim, then i reckon she's bound to drizzown. . .
    Are yall taking Shuggie-talkin' lessons?

I should have finished my thought here by saying that there's no way anyone could come close to the Shuggieisms we've been enjoying for almost 20 years now here on good ol' Geekfest. That certain, yet indescribable je ne sais quoi is what is needed.Most of us have found it necessary to stick with our own style 'cause we don't even come close when we try. Maybe we could have a Shuggieism contest and let you-know-who be the judge!
    Last edited by DaBee; 06-26-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

HEY?
    Simulation without the poetry is not even imitation.
    Fend without wheels is not a Shugism.

Yall, don't try that again as it does not suit your taste in excellence.
    Bless your heart.
    shuggie

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Quote Originally Posted by shuggie View Post
    HEY?
    Simulation without the poetry is not even imitation.
    Fend without wheels is not a Shugism.

Yall, don't try that again as it does not suit your taste in excellence.
    Bless your heart.
    Yep, Shug - it doesn't even come close. Takes me 10 minutes to read and ponder one of your sentences 'cause I gotta get pretty deep in there and stir stuff around a bit!
    Keep on keepin' on, my fine, bright ingenious friend!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.