Amazon Echo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Echo

Default Amazon Echo

We love ours.

How about you?
    - bikeguy

DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN !

I've been afraid to buy one. When I first heard about how easy they were to hack, I was afraid to put an "always listening" internet connected device in my home. Of course I put black tape over the cameras in the laptops and disable the built in mics in those too. I've probably seen too many movies and read too many books. It's not like we say anything anybody would find valuable, but I don't want anyone listening anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-privacy-cloud

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...uckduckgo.com/
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

Having an electronic device in the house that listens to everything I say, seems like a very bad idea. Especially when I'm talking back to the TV nightly news. But, seriously, it seems like a very, very very bad idea. My imagination runs wild with the possibiities. It's right up there with having DNA testing done. Right now it seems innocuous enough, but who's to say where either could or will lead.

Now, I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think Siri on my phone listens all the time. Well, I guess that's obvious, because just say her name and she's asking what you want. But, one day my husband and I were talking about how we'll soon be needing a new refrigerator. Next time I went to a news website, all the ads were about refrigerators. Not once had either of us done a search for any appliance. Creepy, IMHO.

I'm going to go full codger on this and stand in the front yard screaming about not being able to buy an analog flip phone with no GPS tracking or internet connection - AND GET OUTTA MY YARD! No, I haven't taken my meds, thanks for your concern.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

I get it, LW. Remember when we didn't carry phones with us 24/7? Why, heck, we didn't even have an answering machine. If you weren't home when someone called, they had to try again later, or just come knock on your door if it was that important. I liken this escalation of privacy instrusion to boiling a frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
    I get it, LW. Remember when we didn't carry phones with us 24/7? Why, heck, we didn't even have an answering machine. If you weren't home when someone called, they had to try again later, or just come knock on your door if it was that important. I liken this escalation of privacy instrusion to boiling a frog.
    Yup! I know this stuff can make some things easier, but I don't need the secret service going SWAT on my house because I privately mention to my wife in passing that tar and feathering public officials might be a community service, as well as a fine spectator event (pay per view of course.)

Big Brother is watching you! Trust and obey, there's no other way!

War is peace. Ignorance is bliss. Freedom is slavery.

. . . and you can get cool music on your Echo Dot.

Your fourth amendment rights ended shortly after 9/11. We're all being tracked more closely than a FedEx package.

Just for fun Google "Utah National Data Center". No doubt .gov knows whether you prefer your almonds salted or unsalted - if not it'd be easy enough to find out.
    - bikeguy

DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN !

Maybe in a dictatorship.

I think it's cute that y'all think there is such a thing as privacy in the 21st century.

But do we have to make "their" job so easy?
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill