Am I the only one...

Thread: Am I the only one...

Default Am I the only one...

Who is wondering about the three day fire on Sportsman's Stretch?

We went to BV today and the old Silver Beaver Lodge junk yard of old barn wood is no more, except for the smoldering debris. One of the firemen in BV advised that it took three departments three days to get it totally under control. The fire even jumped hwy 62 and ran up the pasture by Don McClung's chicken house.

Wonder how long it will take to clean up that mess and what started the fire?
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks, you will never get to your destination.~ Winston Churchill

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

According to Tim Jamar (the property owner), he thought it was probably electrical problems. It was covered in the CCN that I just got in the mail.

BTW, having driven by this scene several times while burning - and seeing the slow control/lack of control - yes, I'm wondering about control procedures vs. the FD letting it "burn its self out".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Default Wishful thiniking

Quote Originally Posted by irondragon View Post
    Who is wondering about the three day fire on Sportsman's Stretch?

We went to BV today and the old Silver Beaver Lodge junk yard of old barn wood is no more, except for the smoldering debris. One of the firemen in BV advised that it took three departments three days to get it totally under control. The fire even jumped hwy 62 and ran up the pasture by Don McClung's chicken house.

Wonder how long it will take to clean up that mess and what started the fire?
    Clean it up? Put it out? The County has allowed the the highway between Eureka to become an unregulated shit hole. The Dead Pallet Palace piled up until it ran out room and burned for months while it polluted air and waterways to make room for more. As DaBee said, there was no apparent concern for this one either.

At least they could practice putting out fires? As for clean up let's just see. If I remember right, nothing was hauled off from the pallet pile, just pushed of the edge to level and extend for more shit.

BTW the substitution on a huge junkyard for Johnson Landscape, although perhaps a legal business is regulated and inspected by who? The same County that called the shots on the fire hazards? One doesn't have to debate zoning in the County to enforce existing public safety standards.

Spectacular... City that requires neighbors approval and endless committee meetings to paint, install energy efficient windows, solar panels or a garden fence and the proper number of chickens, surrounded by entrances all around by unregulated giant hazardous burn piles, ugliness with who knows what in the mix and stupid bill boards blotting what would be stunning countryside. For anyone that bristles at being thought ignorant by people passing through.. what else would they think?
    Last edited by akerue; 02-12-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

X2. Hoping the junkyard is next. AFAIK there are
    no zoning issues in the county cept septic systems.
    Shithole zoning.

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Clean it up? Put it out? The County has allowed the the highway between Eureka to become an unregulated shit hole. The Dead Pallet Palace piled up until it ran out room and burned for months while it polluted air and waterways to make room for more. As DaBee said, there was no apparent concern for this one either.

At least they could practice putting out fires? As for clean up let's just see. If I remember right, nothing was hauled off from the pallet pile, just pushed of the edge to level and extend for more shit.

BTW the substitution on a huge junkyard for Johnson Landscape, although perhaps a legal business is regulated and inspected by who? The same County that called the shots on the fire hazards? One doesn't have to debate zoning in the County to enforce existing public safety standards.

Spectacular... City that requires neighbors approval and endless committee meetings to paint, install energy efficient windows, solar panels or a garden fence and the proper number of chickens, surrounded by entrances all around by unregulated giant hazardous burn piles, ugliness with who knows what in the mix and stupid bill boards blotting what would be stunning countryside. For anyone that bristles at being thought ignorant by people passing through.. what else would they think?

My own personal experience has shown that any building in any un-incorpoated area in the county - and btw, this includes Holiday Island - will not be “condemned” unless there’s danger of certain chemical contamination, i.e., a meth lab.

Just sayin’
    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

For the record, as of this afternoon the backside going down is still smoking significantly. Who knows? A windy day w continued dry weather and we could have a real disaster on our hands for lack of minimal effort and caution.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

We just drove by it for the first time since the fire. It isn't any uglier now than before.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

When Mother gets done it'll be covered.
    On a nice windy day from the north, stop
    and sling a pound of Kudzu in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidwindows View Post
    We just drove by it for the first time since the fire. It isn't any uglier now than before.

On the brink of insanity, but send my mail to Holiday Island

Whole lotta shit needs burned up in the name of community improvement.
    Including some shit out at my place. LOL!
    But when your MAIN TOURIST ROADS look like shit, WTF do ya think that SAYS about our community?
    I'm ready to go out and buy billboards that welcome everone to the 'Rica suburbs. The NEW Alpena.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Still smouldering and stinky in front of Tim Jamar's place. Must have burned all the way down to the river behind and below.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.