Boycott the Republican Party!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boycott the Republican Party!

Default Boycott the Republican Party!

Finally someone has gone and said what I have been thinking since, oh, about the middle of 2016: the Republican Party in its current incarnation is an existential threat to democracy in this country.

"This, then, is the article we thought we would never write: a frank statement that a certain form of partisanship is now a moral necessity. The Republican Party, as an institution, has become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our democracy. The problem is not just Donald Trump; it’s the larger political apparatus that made a conscious decision to enable him. In a two-party system, nonpartisanship works only if both parties are consistent democratic actors. If one of them is not predictably so, the space for nonpartisans evaporates. We’re thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the country from Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the Republican Party from itself, is to ... vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes (very preferably the former)."

I know I am a flaming liberal in the eyes of most people in this part of the country. So I will be very, very clear in saying that this great nation DESERVES and NEEDS a full-throated, strong conservative party that manages to advocate for strength in defense, support of a vibrant capitalistic economy, and a restrained approach to governing while SOMEHOW, SOMEHOW also managing to not put party above country and that the ends justify the means.

I know, there I go, dreaming that unrealistic liberal dream again.

Since you provided no source nor link to the article quoted in your post, I have.
    Boycott the Republican Party

If conservatives want to save the GOP from itself, they need to vote mindlessly and mechanically against its nominees. The Atlantic Magazine

Edmon de Haro

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...he-gop/550907/
    Last edited by Another Texan; 02-07-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add

Thanks AT. I guess my hyperlink in the first sentence of my post was a little too small and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_in_dfw View Post
    Thanks AT. I guess my hyperlink in the first sentence of my post was a little too small and subtle.
    Obviously ~

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Aha! Said the said.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Thanks for bringing it up. I was attracted to that article too. I’ve been pondering though...

I’ve been listening to, “Insane Clown President.” Matt Taibbi. Rolling Sone. Liberal. But one of his main points about the Trump election is, oddly?, that the media didn’t cover the story as the revolution it actually was.

Remember when everybody thought Jeb Bush was the heir apparent? When all the other, I don’t know, 37,000 other GOP candidates, were loudly and publicly, “Never Trump!” Whatever else they wanted, voters didn’t want more of the same.

So we went Trump right, Bernie left. Trump won and, again, remember when the media congratulated Trump for signing on with the full swamp/heritage foundation agenda? He spent the whole election mocking the Goldman crowd then hired them all as soon as he was elected. Which, granted, isn’t anything like what he told his supporters would happen.

So let’s just say we all reflexively vote against the Republican Party; what do we get? Is there a credible Democratic alternative? If so, I don’t see one.

Ask me? I think we need to take this discussion out of high school soccer mom territory. Whatever team we think we we’re on? We’re not. I don’t even know what the Democrats have been up to lately because all the “news” has been about the “fiscally conservative” Republicans blowing up the deficit. If they ever did, old rules about who represents what in ‘Merica no longer apply.

The good news, such as it is, is that an unprecedented number of people have been inspired to run for office. Did y’all see the news about Kansas? Turns out, Kansas has no particular rule about who is qualified to run for Governor so there are, at least, six high school students running now, despite the fact that they’re not even old enough to vote. When asked they say, if their candidacies make people pay attention to politics again, they’ll be satisfied. If I could vote for those kids I would even though, Kansas and all, they’re probably Republican.

What I look for is the governing theory. Or, in other words, and in the immortal words of “The Breakfast Club,” I reject the simplest terms, the most convenient definitions. Actual Republicans have never had any more enthusiasm for deficit spending on Betsy DeVos’ brother’s corporate contractor bonus than liberals do. Nobody likes government for the lobbyists, by the lobbyists. (See: Donald. Bernie.) Republican v. Democrat is pure entertainment days. It’s like Undertaker V. Ultimate Warrior: Pure fake. (good platform for happy meal ads though.)

Give me an actual candidate with an actual governing philosophy; or a torch, a pitchfork, and 352,000,000 of my fellow enraged, marauding citizens.

Either way.

As much as I like the visual image of 352M pitchforks marching on Washington, I suspect manufacturers won't be able to meet demand. We also have a lot of folks who are too strapped to pony up the $40 or so for said pitchfork.

Both major parties seem to be wholly owned corporate subsidiaries now, with no third party having enough organization or backing to get much accomplished, so even if we pulled a Vlad and lined the streets of the capital with impaled politicians (ooh, that really does sound enticing) it would do little other than create a clusterf#$k of historical proportions.

I understand the Democrats are now being attacked from the left, much as the tea party attacked and took over the GOP. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so this is to be expected. With the republicans so far to the right, the only possible balance would be every bit as far to the left. The problem is compromise, that cornerstone of American political function is no longer functioning. We have become a nation of babies who want to take our toys and go home if we don't get our way. It has been designed that way, and promoted on what passes for news - absolute divide - hatred in fact of those who hold opposite views. United we stand...
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

in my skin, except when I'm extradimensional

"So let’s just say we all reflexively vote against the Republican Party; what do we get? Is there a credible Democratic alternative?"

Doesn't matter. The DNC has already told the nation, they don't care who you vote for, they are a private organization, and will pick who they want.
    (I'm sure they will still say "vote in the primary and send us your $$$)
    I gotta buff up, so I look sexy when they hang me on the cross
    'Change the world, or we'll do it for you'

Lightbulb Say what?

My bold:
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidwindows View Post
    ...The problem is compromise, that cornerstone of American political function is no longer functioning. We have become a nation of babies who want to take our toys and go home if we don't get our way. It has been designed that way, and promoted on what passes for news - absolute divide - hatred in fact of those who hold opposite views. United we stand...
    Been saying for years... “just take that word out of the dictionary.”
    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg

I have been boycotting the Republican party since 1981. I know a person who boycotted Walmart for ten years. Both efforts worked out equally well.