About council last night - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About council last night

Suburban Eureka Springs, very near paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra Hughes View Post
    I didn’t say a word about your opinion, Erastus. You can fancy it as relevant as you like. As a pragmatist, I’m fully aware that even though Kim and I own 4 businesses and a ton of real estate in town, we don’t get to vote on city affairs. I knew that when we chose a home out of the city limits, and it was a trade I was willing to make. My opinion, when it comes to city council meetings, is in fact irrelevant; city officials aren’t my representatives.
    And that's a shame!
    "I'll tell you this...No eternal reward will forgive us now For wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Maybe. But, if there’s one thing Eureka Springs citizens have more than enough of, it’s outlanders making decisions for them. Much as my life, business and zip code revolve around Eureka Springs, I can always flee the scene. My reps are the Quorum Court. Of course they don’t care what I think either.

Casey and I had Date Night tonight and we were talking about the original topic. She said, holding her phone aloft, “I could contact 50 people right now who would be thrilled to hear they could play basketball in the gym.” She talked about how, when she was in high school, local guys used to meet at 6 or 7 am to play. Caleb, her mate and our son in outlaw, was a 90’s “Park Kid;” the non-stop effort to keep local kids out of Basin Park because they “annoyed the tourists” is one of my most vivid memories.

I love Eureka Springs. I do. But sometimes it seems like the weirdest small town in America...and not in that “World’s Largest Open Air Asylum” way (which I enjoy.) There’s a small town thing that we don’t have here...the guys playing pickup basketball games before work, softball rec leagues, people getting wound the hell up over high school sports, shopkeepers knowing the local kids and enjoying seeing them around instead of viewing the kids as a threat to their livelihood. Kids who want to do wholesome, socially approved activities go...where? Not Van Pelt; it’s locked up. I can’t think of any parents who would enthusiastically tell their kids to ride their bikes out to Leatherwood.

It’s not that the dearth of community opportunities doesn’t come up. It does. But what you get for your concern about, what seems to me like a perfectly legitimate and reasonable question: what about the people who live here? Do we get anything besides the constant remonstration to perform for the tourists, the tourists, the tourists?” Raise your head over the barricades with that one and you get a permanent designation as a g’damn, dirty, business-hating hippie.

Hence my early, and brief, enthusiasm for the “community center.” I thought, “ At last!” But it’s not that. It’s not going to be that. It’s not going to be the place where the guys play basketball and the seniors have martial arts and square dancing classes. It’s the place where it, somehow, seems like a good idea to move a Chamber of Commerce food-based event from a perfectly good convention center to a moldy gym; a place where the most enthusiastic thing that can be said is, “Yay! Thanks to your generous contributions, we now have enough money to hire a part time rental agent!”

As Lamont has pointed out, the horse is out of the barn; the deal is done. I’m not going to agonize over it. There’s..like...a curse in Eureka Springs. Doc Baker, Sure Pop; film flam is, apparently, part of the landscape. Somebody will probably make a few bucks doing a “community center” re-enactment 100 years from now.

What I will agonize over, however, is the ...what do I call it?The environment? The landscape? The will, or lack thereof, that makes it seem like typical, small town community stuff isn’t important. If there’s anything that ought to be clear by now, it is that nobody is going to make it easy to build community. If it’s important to the populace, in town and out, we’re probably going to need to start in somebody’s church or alfalfa field or yard.

on the plus side, thanks to Shreya aka Michael Smith, there are always pick-up soccer games going on at leatherwood.

okay, devil's advocate here.
    since park's is almost in the black, why should we continue a tax for them?