About council last night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About council last night

Default About council last night

The council, now seated with Melissa green, voted to not give a contract to the "community center". So council will continue to meet in the Aud.
    They did vote to take away live coverage of all meetings. This is very dissaappointing.

5 names were submitted for the vacant council seat. A big Thanks to all who volunteered to serve.

Mickey walked out because she said the vote for a new council person was supposed to be a private, not public declaration. I think she was mistsken. If the city had done a roll call vote, the results would be known. There is no way to keep this private.

Council voted last night to wash their hands of all involvement with the Community Center of Commerce. No lease agreement. No property ownership. No meeting room agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    The council, now seated with Melissa green, voted to not give a contract to the "community center". So council will continue to meet in the Aud.
    They did vote to take away live coverage of all meetings. This is very dissaappointing.

5 names were submitted for the vacant council seat. A big Thanks to all who volunteered to serve.

Mickey walked out because she said the vote for a new council person was supposed to be a private, not public declaration. I think she was mistsken. If the city had done a roll call vote, the results would be known. There is no way to keep this private.
    Just curious Pat,,,why would anyone think it would be OK to keep a vote like that private?
    "Ride On"

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    The council, now seated with Melissa green,
    There are 2 reasons in this sentence that I am so glad I no longer live in the city limits!!

Max,
    All council votes are public record. I don't see why this would or should be private.

So is anyone else wanting to let the city know that not televising meetings is unacceptable?

I’m not a city resident, so naturally my opinion on this is irrelevant. Since I’ve never let that stop me before, I see no reason to start now, so I’ll admit that I’m disappointed by the decision. I used to really enjoy watching council meetings, and I was impressed when I moved here that it was so convenient to keep track of your reps at work.

That being said, no other small town with which I have been familiar televises their meetings. I’ve always thought that they would probably be far more efficient, less time consuming, and far less contentious if the reps and citizen speakers weren’t consciously or subconsciously performing for the cameras. I believe in transparency and accountability in government at all levels, but I don’t think that requires that government be pumped into my home so I can watch it on my couch. Folks will still have access, but they’ll have to put a little effort into going to the meetings.

I’ll miss it; I thought that televising council was a unique and cool way to invite more folks into the conversation, even if most of it happened here or on Facebook after, but it isn’t a requirement. I’ll be interested to see if there is a little less hostility without televised meetings.

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Councilís decision not to involve the city with the ďcommunity centerĒ is good news.

I donít live in the city either (obviously? See: Kendra) but I get the disappointment about the lack of televised meetings. It seems like there are a lot of pieces to the Rubix Cube. The current meeting space is neither ADA compliant nor large enough to accommodate many dedicated citizens. Iíve been at meetings for one reason or another and thereís not much room.

Perhaps the Norris Street property will fit the bill. As I understand the situation from the local news, remodeling would still be necessary. But a city deciding to use a property that isnít producing rent for something it actually needs would be a pretty sensible decision.

Iíve never had the good fortune to live rent free for 20 years. I have paid rent and made leasehold improvements. There are various IRS accounting booga booga rules about this but most stuff you do to somebody elseís property is written off, and has zero value, after 15 years. At the absolute maximum, leasehold improvements are worth slightly less than half of what they cost after 20 years. Half the cost of a roof compared to a generation-worth of free rent? I think it ought to be pretty clear which side that scale comes down on.

Mostly, though. Iím happy to hear that the city wonít be signing on with the ďcommunity center.Ē I like business ventures as well as the next capitalist pigdog but I prefer actual business that earns its own credibility from providing a good product to customers that actually want and/or need what that business has to sell.

Suburban Eureka Springs, very near paradise

I don't understand why living outside city limits makes my opinion irrelevant. Kendra, please explain. I shop Eureka, I participate in Eureka events, I own property and pay property taxes, of which an extraordinary portion goes to the schools, though I've never had kids. I feed the parking meter when I'm in town and frequent a few places of business, paying inflated prices for anything because, well, it's a tourist town. I'm too old and tired of moving to do that at this point in time, so I'll happily live on the outskirts in my own little world.
    Town leaders speak of the constant water & sewer leaks as an annoyance, rather than the irresponsibly wasteful and polluting mess that this problem exacerbates. The towns progressive, pro-environment protection image is a delusion, which is revealing itself in the dissonance between town leaders & residents.

I'm sure that if tourists wanted to see council meetings, they would find a way to accommodate them.
    "I'll tell you this...No eternal reward will forgive us now For wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

I didn’t say a word about your opinion, Erastus. You can fancy it as relevant as you like. As a pragmatist, I’m fully aware that even though Kim and I own 4 businesses and a ton of real estate in town, we don’t get to vote on city affairs. I knew that when we chose a home out of the city limits, and it was a trade I was willing to make. My opinion, when it comes to city council meetings, is in fact irrelevant; city officials aren’t my representatives.