The “community center” needs a new name - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The “community center” needs a new name

Quote Originally Posted by Max Boydstun View Post
    Key word here being "quietly". Ron would not ride off into the sunset, with that gold bar, on a loud motorcycle,,,ever.
    ;-)

Now for some comments from another "outsider", an Okie From Muskogee. Still at the Western edge of the Ozarks, but an outsider never the less.
    Just to put things in perspective, Eureka, again is not all that unique. Take my community for example.

We have a bed tax too. Are people fighting over it? It's a million bucks! You bet your butt they are. The candidate running for mayor's (against his ex- father in law) biggest campaign strategy so far is to petition the city to dedicate 45% of the "tourist tax" to give city employees (uniformed and non-uniformed) a raise. According to him, tourism does nothing for the economy. He's trying to buy a block of votes.

Our "good old boy/girl" network is (take your pick) the city council, the Chamber of Commerce, the City of Muskogee Foundation, Tourism (still connected to the Chamber), ODOT, the Muskogee Hotel & Lodging Association, etc. None of these people are really evil, some are just not real bright.

Public facilities in need of funding; yes, we got em. The Civic Center (Auditorium) is about a $300,000 plus cost each year, the Historic Roxy Theatre cost is probably another $50,000 - $75,000. The Three Rivers Museum, The Batfish (submarine) Museum, the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame & Museum are all struggling to find "sustainability". Then there's Hat Box Field, an old airport, now festival/fairgrounds/expo center/multi purpose sports complex - costs unknown. The new MLK Community Center just cost a couple of million to build & we don't know how much it will cost to operate. And finally, we just finished a $6,000,000 new Muskogee Little Theater building project, that started out as $5 million project and guess what,,,have no idea how to pay for the ongoing expenses connected to it either.

My message is; if misery loves company, Muskogee & Eureka Springs should be happy campers.

Sent from my Dick Tracy, two-way, wrist radio.
    actually max, save your message and misery for your fellow okies. cuz no matter how often/loudly we complain about shitty thangs here in the natural state, those thangs never have nor never will suck as badly as thangs do over in oklahoma. i mean, there's shitty, and then there's oklahoma shitty.

can i get an amen?

Quote Originally Posted by yallare2funny View Post
    actually max, save your message and misery for your fellow okies. cuz no matter how often/loudly we complain about shitty thangs here in the natural state, those thangs never have nor never will suck as badly as thangs do over in oklahoma. i mean, there's shitty, and then there's oklahoma shitty. can i get an amen?

No amen, but with all due respect,,,How about a Fuck you?
    Carry on funny man.

"Ride On"

Quote Originally Posted by Max Boydstun View Post
    No amen, but with all due respect,,,How about a Fuck you?
    Carry on funny man.

just calling it like i see it.

your unimaginative retort confers such

Hilarity Yall's Comedy Club & Part-Time Disco

Quote Originally Posted by yallare2funny View Post
    just calling it like i see it.

your unimaginative retort confers such
    Well, I must admit I was a little pressed for time with my "retort". Don't have much now, but,,,here goes........

So let's use our imagination and go back to the beginning of the thread, "The Community Center Needs A New Name."
    Maybe "yall" could open a comedy club with you az the star. Maybe a cross between Don Rickles and Robin Williams,,,with a little Richard Pryor thrown in just to add to the dead comedians theme. You could play up the dead tourist town angle and just slay 'em in the aisles. Be sure and throw in a lot of insults to the paying guests as well as any local good old boys & girls that may bring a guest to this sure fire hit attraction. They will love it I'm sure.
    The disco music and ball, between your killer sets, will also add to the dead tourist town ambiance.
    Last edited by Max Boydstun; 01-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    "Ride On"

Hey if we (or Muskogee), could book anyone with 50% the brilliance of Robin Williams or Richard Pryor, they could book our Aud's for two shows daily 365 a year and Eureka Jack and Muskogee Jack would be booked solid and leaving everyone alone.

There are hundreds of tribute bands who are fun to see and do a pretty fair job of doing the Dead or Beatles (even Japanese) or Jimi (was it Hanson?).

We will never see anyone do Robin or Richard. Richard, who titled an album (yep, vinyl) "Nigger" brought tears to my eyes when he storytold his trip to Africa where in his mind he saw the faces of his neighborhoods(with names) from wino to prostitute and destitute, on the streets of Africa, but they were the Mayor, Judge, Police Chief etc... and implored his audience to never use the word nigger again and swore not to do so himself. He meant it, not enough got it or heard it.

Maybe I'm just an old fart but I have not heard the comic brilliance of Williams or Pryor since, not even close... you ain't playing fair. Branson comedy even on ladies night with free wooden buck teeth, in it's prime, was not even comic.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

There is no point in discussing the "community center" since it is not ours. It would be like telling the Crescent or New Orleans how to run their business. And that is the challenge. Many folks think of it as ours and it isn't.

However, we do have a voice in government and in these financially tough times, it would behoove the City to not pay rent. The lobby of the Aud works for me until we have a plan in place based on real criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    There is no point in discussing the "community center" since it is not ours. It would be like telling the Crescent or New Orleans how to run their business. And that is the challenge. Many folks think of it as ours and it isn't.

However, we do have a voice in government and in these financially tough times, it would behoove the City to not pay rent. The lobby of the Aud works for me until we have a plan in place based on real criteria.
    Well Pat, the schools, new and old are ours, unless the school board gave one or both away. Start there. With the school district, not the municipality.. it's never been theirs.

Show me the gift from school district taxpayers to current "owners" and I will show you the problem. I know at least two people were involved in both.
    Last edited by akerue; 01-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post

That couldn't be farther from the truth. The taxpayers paid for that property in the first place. Also, they are looking at using taxpayers money to maintain the grounds through parks funds. It is our business since we are the ones paying the taxes. If you recall this past year we voted on a permanent tax to help fund parks. Not to fund a private organization or their ideas.
    The city should never get into a multi million dollar deal with a private non profit organization who is looking for funding via the taxpayers. If they want to be private then be private and find your own damn money, but you are not going to use mine.

Hey bear,
    The eureka springs school district is bigger than the "city". It goes up to the Missouri border on the North, the river on the east, the county borders on west and south.
    So, in reality, the district that owns the property is bigger than the city. the city alone can't lay claim to the property if you see what I mean. The district, en masse, should have had input into this decision.

I realize that Pat. Its a hard situation that is even more complicated when 2 school board members, including the School boards superintendent sit on the Community Center of Commerce board.
    The ESCC in all their haste set up this project in a way that has painted them into a corner financially by not being eligible for many grants due to it structure. Now they want to be able to ride on the guise of it being city property in order to write those grants. If that is the case then the city and the taxpayers have the right to have input. You can't operate with 100% autonomy and suckle off the publics teat without question or resistance.
    Last edited by The Barbear; 01-04-2018 at 11:18 AM.