Not a Scratch

Thread: Not a Scratch

Default Not a Scratch

Our new sailboat, Wind Dancer, went through the eye of Irma in St. Petersburg Fl......without a scratch.

A series of "disasters" which caused us to delay leaving on our sailing trip, forced us to dock our boat in the most expensive marina in the city, put me in the hospital for four days with a life-threatening infection, and compelled us to return to Arkansas for a period of recuperation turned from adversity to blessing in a few days. Except for fate, it is likely we would have been right in the middle of the worst of the devastation you are currently viewing on the news.

Pictures published today on the web show our boat, still tied to the dock, in exactly the same condition as when we left it.

Fate has strange twists. Dejection at having our plans severely altered today turned to elation.

I had prepared the boat for hurricane weather before we left it, and had a local captain go down to the boat to make a few final preparations when the magnitude of Irma became clear. I was fortunate to have been forced by circumstance to leave the boat in what may be the best hurricane hole in Florida.

Will be returning to the boat, health recovered, as soon as travel into Florida becomes reasonable. Meanwhile, just counting the blessings that were seen as adversities just last week.

Whatever god there happens to be sure seems to have a special place in his heart for fools and sea-goers, if there is any difference between the two.

The dream lives and the adventure continues.......
    Who am I? Why am I here? -Admiral James Stockdale-

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit of Hogscald View Post
    Our new sailboat, Wind Dancer, went through the eye of Irma in St. Petersburg Fl......without a scratch.

A series of "disasters" which caused us to delay leaving on our sailing trip, forced us to dock our boat in the most expensive marina in the city, put me in the hospital for four days with a life-threatening infection, and compelled us to return to Arkansas for a period of recuperation turned from adversity to blessing in a few days. Except for fate, it is likely we would have been right in the middle of the worst of the devastation you are currently viewing on the news.

Pictures published today on the web show our boat, still tied to the dock, in exactly the same condition as when we left it.

Fate has strange twists. Dejection at having our plans severely altered today turned to elation.

I had prepared the boat for hurricane weather before we left it, and had a local captain go down to the boat to make a few final preparations when the magnitude of Irma became clear. I was fortunate to have been forced by circumstance to leave the boat in what may be the best hurricane hole in Florida.

Will be returning to the boat, health recovered, as soon as travel into Florida becomes reasonable. Meanwhile, just counting the blessings that were seen as adversities just last week.

Whatever god there happens to be sure seems to have a special place in his heart for fools and sea-goers, if there is any difference between the two.

The dream lives and the adventure continues.......
    Good Karma, Good MoJo, or just an old fashioned Guardian Angel was looking after you
    Hermit.
    "Ride On"

Amazing. Congratulations on your extreme good fortune. This might be a great time for you to buy a lottery ticket.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

All this cloudiness we are experiencing?.....yup, hurricane Irma.

Damn thing followed me all the way to Arkansas,....and STILL didn't get me.

I don't know about the lottery ticket thing, reckon I've drained my luck pretty dry.

But I'm starting to believe the guardian angel thing.

Glad to hear you all are safe & sound Hermit.

My MIL has lived in Hialeah FL (Miami Metro area) for the past 60 or so years. She is 88 years young and as stubborn as a Missouri mule. We tried to get her to evacuate or go to a shelter but she absolutely refused.
    She rode out Andrew and many other lesser storms in her home and she said she will ride this one out too. Luckily her home was built at a time when homes in south Florida were built to withstand hurricanes (unlike newer shoddy construction) and she is on high ground not prone to flooding. She also has emergency supplies to last several weeks in the event she couldn't get out and about.
    She came through the storm without a scratch also, but lost power and phone service for a day and was griping about that.

God bless stubborn women.
    ****Even if the voices aren't real, they have some really good ideas! ****
    Arguing on Geekfest is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    I'm sorry for whatever I did to make you think I give a shit about your feelings.

Reminds me of the old that's too bad, no, that's good... oh that's good, no it was bad... oh that's too bad, no that's good stories. I'm so glad it wound up for the good.

As for construction, Florida like everyone went through the sturdy old time building, shoddy stuff and then post Andrew instituted strict building codes. A lot of the shoddy will be culled and if rebuilt, be under strict codes. I saw a great interview with a Floridian who said he was extremely conservative but... building codes were an absolute necessity for public safety, all taxpayers liability and insurance buyers rates. I agree.

Texas, on the other hand believes in no regulation... everyone pays and the chemical plant down the road does not even have to tell you what's on their site even as it explodes in the air around you..... and damn proud of it.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

And now Jose is threatening New England, Irma has destroyed most of Florida, Maria is about to hit Puerto Rico and God knows where next, Harvey wiped Texas, unprecedented, at least in my lifetime. I am willing to bet that all this has made no difference in the opinions of the climate deniers. I wonder if anything is capable of shaking their "faith" (in this case, faith is being substituted for ignorance, because I am being liberally "politically correct"). I remember many, many years when not a single major storm hit the US, and when one did, it was only one for the whole season.

Maybe enlightenment when it reaches the proportion of the Biblical flood. Or when Idaho takes a direct hit from a Cat 5. Anything less looks likely to be ineffective.