ADA comes to City meetings - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ADA comes to City meetings

Quote Originally Posted by gowiththeflowgal View Post
    Did someone say the Knowles are asking the city to pay their legal fees for a suit they initiated?
    "A question's not really a question if you know the answer, too." John Prine, with thoughts of Jim Wright (Gaylord).

If there is something you would like to share with the class Ms. Go, now would be the time.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

Quote Originally Posted by David Mitchell View Post
    "I am not from Eureka anymore? " Ok the ride up the stairs is not good, the fix we are discussing and close to finalizing was not ride up stairs and a lot more. THe AUD is still a ride up stairs and for what 6 months after over 20 years........ that is the issue I was making clear, the threatened lawsuit for immediate fix was unwarranted..... period.......... and the motive for immediate is what if you can allow it to go on for over 20 years? ?????????????????????? really
    No, the Aud is not a ride up the stairs. It is much safer. Maybe it should be classified as a freight elevator, but I have ridden in it and tho it is not ideal, it is safe. Next question: why did the City Council let it go on for over 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by gowiththeflowgal View Post
    Did someone say the Knowles are asking the city to pay their legal fees for a suit they initiated?
    They are not. She is not a member of Geekfest, but she says anyone is welcome to contact her and speak with her about it.
    Last edited by Sue Glave; 09-25-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Oh Akerue you wish. Bwahahaha.

At the council meeting the other night, under the discussion of "moving city hall", there were several recommendations. I didn't see them mentioned in the paper.

1-the privately owned, not for profit "community center", (old high school), is now offering free space to the city. All they want is for us to pay for the refurbishing. Haven't we given them enough? We, as a school district, cheated ourselves out of the money we were led to believe was the potential income from the sale of the property. Instead of the maybe one million, the school board entered into a contract to sell it for $400,000 over 20 years. Is there anything that would stop them from selling the property should they get a great offer? And if that happened, where would that leave the City?

2.Mickey timidly floated the "buy a commercial space" with the CAPC, letting the CAPC pay the mortgage, since they already pay rent. It would be a win-win. No, our mayor said he would rather build a new City Hall from scratch (big bucks), than be creative about re-using and recycling some of our existing structures.
    Under commercial structures for sale, I found 5 that could easily work with the right modifications. Using a 30 yr. mortgage payment as a guideline, the monthly cost would range from $1500 per month to $3000., not including any renovations that must be made. i.e. , fire proof safe, update wiring, meeting room, etc. The end result would be that we own our own space.

Somewhere in time, we as a city lost our ownership in the Courthouse so why continue in the moldy basement with bad vibes that costs us money. Some say that the money we collect from parking and tickets, from spaces around the Courthouse really just pay the rent....is this true?

What is it we want to see happen? What should our CityHall have?

Have we defined all of our city and department needs, both short and long term? For example, how big does the meeting room really need to be? How much parking or access to public trans should be available? To make meetings more accessible, should meetings be in the daytime when trolleys are running? What are and will the social media needs be? how many offices are really needed? ADA compliance? solar?
    maybe a survey of our citizens is in order?
    are grants available for any of this? We should all be discussing this and sending our thoughts to the City.

thanks,
    pat

Quote Originally Posted by patmatsukis View Post
    At the council meeting the other night, under the discussion of "moving city hall", there were several recommendations. I didn't see them mentioned in the paper. 1-the privately owned, not for profit "community center", (old high school), is now offering free space to the city. All they want is for us to pay for the refurbishing. Haven't we given them enough? We, as a school district, cheated ourselves out of the money we were led to believe was the potential income from the sale of the property. Instead of the maybe one million, the school board entered into a contract to sell it for $400,000 over 20 years. Is there anything that would stop them from selling the property should they get a great offer? And if that happened, where would that leave the City? 2.Mickey timidly floated the "buy a commercial space" with the CAPC, letting the CAPC pay the mortgage, since they already pay rent. It would be a win-win. No, our mayor said he would rather build a new City Hall from scratch (big bucks), than be creative about re-using and recycling some of our existing structures. Under commercial structures for sale, I found 5 that could easily work with the right modifications. Using a 30 yr. mortgage payment as a guideline, the monthly cost would range from $1500 per month to $3000., not including any renovations that must be made. i.e. , fire proof safe, update wiring, meeting room, etc. The end result would be that we own our own space. Somewhere in time, we as a city lost our ownership in the Courthouse so why continue in the moldy basement with bad vibes that costs us money. Some say that the money we collect from parking and tickets, from spaces around the Courthouse really just pay the rent....is this true? What is it we want to see happen? What should our CityHall have? Have we defined all of our city and department needs, both short and long term? For example, how big does the meeting room really need to be? How much parking or access to public trans should be available? To make meetings more accessible, should meetings be in the daytime when trolleys are running? What are and will the social media needs be? how many offices are really needed? ADA compliance? solar? maybe a survey of our citizens is in order? are grants available for any of this? We should all be discussing this and sending our thoughts to the City. thanks, pat
    Bravo Pat,
    Sounds like you're calling for a comprehensive plan, with Citizen input. Add a sentence about some architectural and construction advice & you've got my vote,,,,all the way from the Snake Farm in Muskogee County, US.A.
    ;-)

Sent from my Dick Tracy, two-way, wrist radio.
    "Ride On"