Ted Cruz can figuratively kiss my ass

Thread: Ted Cruz can figuratively kiss my ass

Default Ted Cruz can figuratively kiss my ass

I know this is a time for action, love and assistance, but it is also a time to call out hypocrisy. The Texas delegation blocked funding for Hurricane Sandy for homeless folks in dead winter for two months. Beloved Donald has slashed funding for the EPA, Homeland, FEMA, and has eliminated the Chemical Advisory Board altogether.... the one that would be in gear to protect citizens during the chemical plant fire/explosion.

All Federal government sucks they railed. All federal oversight regulations are a business impediment they ruled. While people have been busy and distracted following all Trump's crimes and fopahs, he and his cronies in congress have all been busy gutting our government.

Watch them squirm and dissemble as they reach for the Federal teat. All the people deserve and need that teat right now. Let's hope they learn and the rest of us make it clear that help now is not a one off, but clearly a need for all, increasingly and everywhere.

Climate denial and the "benefits" of eliminating regulation kill people.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

In an addendum... the chemical plant blew. No one knows the other chemicals present due to regulatory destruction. FEMA's annual budget is 3.8 billion. The "initial" emergency funding that will be allocated for Harvey is 5 billion. The costs will ultimately exceed 100 Billion. Houston has no building regulations and paved over 30% of open space from 2000-2010. The EPA budget and regs.. slashed. Homeland Security budget slashed (regs against people instituted). The Chemical Safety Board, eliminated.

We all know even with regs the damage of this storm would have been huge, but not this huge. Maybe it's time to admit climate change, take preventative actions, fund appropriate agencies and stop the profiteering at the cost of human life. It is beyond callous, it is criminal. Certainly nothing to be proud of, Ted.

From rags to riches, does this mean I should clean out my Mid-American closet to cover ash exposure today?
    shuggie

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    I know this is a time for action, love and assistance, but it is also a time to call out hypocrisy. The Texas delegation blocked funding for Hurricane Sandy for homeless folks in dead winter for two months. Beloved Donald has slashed funding for the EPA, Homeland, FEMA, and has eliminated the Chemical Advisory Board altogether.... the one that would be in gear to protect citizens during the chemical plant fire/explosion.

All Federal government sucks they railed. All federal oversight regulations are a business impediment they ruled. While people have been busy and distracted following all Trump's crimes and fopahs, he and his cronies in congress have all been busy gutting our government.

Watch them squirm and dissemble as they reach for the Federal teat. All the people deserve and need that teat right now. Let's hope they learn and the rest of us make it clear that help now is not a one off, but clearly a need for all, increasingly and everywhere.

Climate denial and the "benefits" of eliminating regulation kill people.
    akerue, find and read that whole story about Sandy and WHY it was blocked. The way I read it there was way too much "pork" tacked on that had nothing to do with help for Sandy victims.

Grayfox, you say "...there was way too much 'pork' tacked on that had nothing to do with help for Sandy victims."

What are the specific allocations and $ amounts that constitute "pork"? Cruz says 2/3 of the bill was unrelated to Sandy, but the Congressional Research Service, a non-partisan analysis group, the NYT and Politifact all disagree.

From NYT article:
    Of 23 examples of extraneous spending that a spokesman for Mr. Cruz provided, all but one — $195 million in discretionary funds for the secretary of health and human services — were Sandy-related or sought to mitigate future storms, as the law required.

The spokesman also pointed to a Congressional Quarterly analysis that said that $17 billion in the bill went toward immediate aid for Sandy victims while $33.5 billion was for “near- and long-term assistance and mitigation” of damage from future disasters.
    But providing nonemergency aid and preparing for future storms are not the same as spending on projects that are entirely unrelated to Sandy.
    Mr. Cruz’s original claim — that just $16 billion to $17 billion was actually connected to disaster relief — is similarly not plausible, as is evident from even a cursory look at the CQ analysis and another breakdown of the aid from the Congressional Research Service.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/u...k.html?mcubz=0
    https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42869.pdf
    "Knowledge is good." --John Faber: Philosopher, Educator, Founder of Faber College (Animal House)

Grayfox, would you suggest we spend a few months poring over relief aid to Texas to be sure there is no pork? Hell no, the people need immediate help and the evil Federal government their tea bag reps are trying to destroy should supply it, despite the idiots. Actually, "Lyin Ted" was, well, lying when he attributed it to pork (super reason to leave them dems frozen and homeless), it was about "offsets"... if the Texas delegation was going to fund disaster in N.Y., N.J. they wanted cuts to education, healthcare, food stamps etc. to "offset" the funding.

On the brink of insanity, but send my mail to Holiday Island

Akerue, I agree with you completely.
    Fuck Ted Cruz.

Perhaps we could fund the relief efforts by making "offsetting" cuts to some popular welfare programs:

1. Oil depletion allowance (welfare for poor oil companies)
    2. "Carry interest" tax bracket (welfare for poor hedge fund managers)
    3. Off-shore tax havens (welfare for poor, profitable companies that hide profits overseas)

--Grunch
    "Knowledge is good." --John Faber: Philosopher, Educator, Founder of Faber College (Animal House)