Am I the only one who?

Thread: Am I the only one who?

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Default Am I the only one who?

Hat tip to Bill Voiers. Still...

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like talking about much of anything even though there's a lot going on? The state of Arkansas is on a killing spree. The Trump administration is up to all kinds of shenanigans... I can't even. Bill O'Reilly is out (cue wild boar soundtrack here.)

Then there's United. The mother of all bombs. Alex Hernandez. Syria. Russia. North Korea. Brexit. Colony collapse disorder has gotten so bad that Honey Nut Cheerios retired its bee mascot. The Attorney General of the United States is apparently unaware that Hawaii is One of Us. Roy "First, Beat All the Gays" Moore is out.

I went to the farmers market today unaware, until hours later, that this was supposed to be the grand opening of the community center. I did notice an unusually large number of official types milling around a different parking lot--not to be confused with the former parking lot--but I just though, "Oh. Hi." and bought my turnips.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just in my own little world. The main thing I'm obsessed with these days is trying to get my horse manure to dry out. I have this pile, see, and I keep spreading it around. Then it rains and I spread it around again. Then it rains...and so on. Keeps me busy.

Most people talk on Facebook or they post Instagram pictures with no comment except, maybe, #hastag my lunch! ( yes I know that's not actually a hashtag.) I don't. If you're my Facebook friend, you know I show up about four times a year like, "Look! I grew a carrot! See these Highlander's doing some sport thing?" I'm not particularly communicative.

Longtime Geekfesters may remember the days when people would pray, light candles and organize to get me to STFU. I mean...enough 30,000 word posts already! So why the ennui?

Heck. I dunno. Possibly because it all seems like so much lately that I don't even know where to start. The news out there, I mean, not my life. My life is excellent and I really have full employment with the horse manure project but, when it comes to the crazy world Out There, where to start... where to start..?

Don't forget the arguing over the "bed-tax" dollars and how much the "city" thinks they should keep because they fund "tourist stuff" out of the general fund.
    Oh,,,wait a minute. That's Muskogee fighting over those dollars.
    Never mind. Please carry on with the horse manure spreading while I listen to bullshit over here.
    ;-)

Sent from my Dick Tracy, two-way, wrist radio.
    "Ride On"

It seems as though there is a communal numbness. To large degree, my FB news feed is pretty quiet politically. I refrain from wading into
    those types of discussions myself. I almost never post anything political and if I do, it's a comment on someone else's post, and I try not to be a pot stirrer. I think everyone has burnout on the whole thing. Try as I might, as soon as I comment, no matter how politely or respectfully, it would end up devolving into blow lines and flame throwing. Who needs it?
    The older I get, I find I prefer peace over chaos. I'll leave the chaos to those better suited for it.
    See you at the polls.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Heretic

I was feeling a little nostalgically wistful this morning and posted my laments and good memories on The Gratitude Journal. So ya, Kim, something is in the air. Could be it was because I saw Bill's obituary in the newspaper.

I almost posted something about 4/20, but thought... nah - they all already know......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Default Am I the only one who?

Kim,

I had to go back to the top and see your name to make sure I hadn't posted this.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, of course. I am not spreading manure, and I don't even have a facebook account, so it clearly wasn't me... but I too have been in the "I feel like I should say something, but what, exactly, should I choose to say something about?" mode.

Maybe I'm waiting for something to actually happen. Trump talks a lot but has done so little. Yes, he's signed a lot of orders, but mostly they have just signaled his intent. Yes, he got a SC judge confirmed but, really, who believes that had anything to do with him? That was all Mitch McConnell, who gives me hope for my own legacy by providing that being attractive isn't an absolute necessity for power.

A sane person cannot remain so if they choose to respond to every lie, every malicious action, every act of crime or treason... I have intensely disliked previous presidents but there have been none I so distrusted at every turn. And that makes me hesitant to jump too quickly on every new opportunity to express my disdain... it is so pervasive and pure that it makes me doubt my judgement and objectivity.

It makes me heartsick, to see where we are headed, to think of the world my grandchildren may inhabit.

Or perhaps they won't... we have a narcissistic imbecile with nuclear weapons he is apparently willing to use... and so does North Korea. Does anyone remember "duck and cover"?

I hope I get my focus back soon, because I feel like someone needs to say things... I feel like I should say things. And I think you should, too, so I hope your ennui is gone by first frost, at least... if we have any more frosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marc Speer

I once was told the only rational response to an insane situation is insanity. If ever we were in an insane situation, this is it. I am most disturbed by the fact that that our system is so fragile that we can be presented with an obviously insane situation and the system seems incapable of correcting that situation. In short, we elected a madman and even though we recognize the situation, it appears we are totally powerless to do anything about it. More disheartening is the fact that so many with power are willing to ride the crazy train because they perceive some possible personal enrichment, the antipathy of patriotism or even basic human morality. So while those who report the antics of the imbecile run around like headless powerless chickens, the rest of us are left to deal with the madness in our own ways.

So the insanity seems to spread. Many chose to dis-involve themselves in a private cocoon. You see the evidence on this board, a place that used to be alive with debate now reduced to condolences and lost kittens. People in general no longer have discussions, afraid perhaps they may find themselves interacting with one of the morons who actually voted for this insanity. There is a particular danger of this in our own very red locale (remember the old saying from the fifties/sixties, "better dead than red"?).

A lot of people are succumbing to the fear, just cutting themselves off from the reality. The only sane reaction to an insane situation.

There is nothing I hate more than a feeling of helplessness, but it seems that is what we are left with, our electoral college has turned out to be an electoral kindergarten, the five year olds have taken over and it appears that nothing is going to be done about it. Certainly none of us living in a tiny town in the Ozarks has the power to remedy this quandary, so there it is, total helplessness.

So we are left to chose insane remedies.

Just in case you think I am above this, forget it. Your withdrawals are minor, I tend to go insane in big ways.

In this spirit, I am about to embark on my own totally insane remedy. You see, Mrs. Hermit and I are on the verge of our own major withdrawal. No, we have not decided to bury ourselves in a particularly large pile of poop.

And so, last month we purchased a lovely 32' sailboat in Florida, one built to offshore standards (in other words, anywhere you want to go in the world, this boat can take you there). We are presently provisioning and equipping it to last out of touch for months. Next month, well, no more Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA for a while. The one thing I learned about cruising sailing is: you are the master of your own fate. Your life is in your own hands, not in the tiny hands of an ultra-rich imbecile who lives in either Washington or Mar-A-Lago (no one is sure exactly which). I feel much less helpless taking on the ocean than I do in taking on the Trump administration. In my younger days of sailing during the cold war, I remember standing on a beach, eating fresh fish and lobster, and considering that if we decided to turn the civilized world into a nuclear wasteland, at least I was down island and up wind, and wondering if I could see the radioactive glow from that far out.

So, if you are feeling guilty about withdrawing or worried about your own sanity, I offer myself as someone who joyfully is taking it to an extreme, insanity and withdrawal to a point that makes you guys look like therapists and pikers (no insult intended I assure you, unless you take "I am crazier than you" as an insult). In fact, I am in total sympathy to what you are going through.

Maybe, if I can find a wifi connection, I'll drop you a note. Don't count on it though. I may be back, maybe in 2018, maybe 2020 (if you, and I, are still here). Just know I am going to feel a whole lot more secure and in control on the open ocean than I ever could in the Ununited States of Trumpica.

Just remember, in the words of George Harrison, "all things must pass" (makes one wish there was such a thing as a national enema).

Live long and prosper my Geekfriends.
    Who am I? Why am I here? -Admiral James Stockdale-

What a wunnerful way to wake This is the first thing I read this morning and if for no other reason, we're conversing again!

Bon Voyage Mr. and Mrs. Hermit. Your being the master of your own fate and controlling your own destiny as much as possible is music to my eyes!

Such a crazy time. We got a psychopathic president who lost by 3 million votes thrust upon us by foreign powers and can't do a thing about it. I'm non-religious, yet have begun to simply pray that we have a country left when this is all over. I've noticed depression deep among thinking people as imbeciles rejoice. We all see what's happening and fight it as we can, but a conversation about it seems as rediculous as the situation. I've lost my snark - if someone finds it let me know.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain

You can't fix stupid, but they are useful tools. Convince them you value their ideas and they will hate whoever you say.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidwindows View Post
    I've lost my snark - if someone finds it let me know.
    Saw it running down Mud Street, but think it got bogged down.

Just sitting here wondering and waiting for the next bomb to drop........