St Patrick's Parade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Patrick's Parade

Default St Patrick's Parade

There's a parade Saturday, March 18. (Gee, another parade?) And you can be in it. Join the Eureka Springs Allstar Kazoo and Free Form Marching Band in the parade. We meet up at Chelsea's anytime after 10 am and join in the parade at Pendergrass Corner -- the Group W Bench. Come and get your kazoo and join us. No talent required.

Lotsa viewers here. Hope some of you are going to join us in the parade.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

It's such a fun parade and I'm sure it will be happily attended. I saw where Joe will be leading the parade in the Irish kilt and full regalia that you made for him yourself. Very spiffy! I was going to post a photo, but now I can't find it on Facebook.
    And happy yesterday birthday, June!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Yup it's great to celebrate immigrants!!! Those of us with Irish blood escaped famine, disease and poverty... now everyone wears green, drinks green beer and celebrates on St. Patrick's Day. Heck, the U.S. Navy even sent boat loads of food to the Irish shores at the height of the famine. Now a guy with an Irish surname is gleefully announcing the end of Meals on Wheels for house bound seniors, after school lunches for impoverished kids and famine relief abroad because " They just don't work." Keep in mind all foreign aid is less than 1% of budget as are these meager programs. Bless your heart Nick Mulvaney. May the Mother Mary grant you 1000 times what you are wishing others.

http://time.com/4704540/trump-budget-meals-wheels/

I love parades but I can hardly wait for the great cinco de Mayo Round Up.
    "They tried to bury us, but did not know we were seeds." Mexican proverb

There was no famine. And no one "escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    Those of us with Irish blood escaped famine, disease and poverty.

You are full of shit. The entire potato crop rotted in the fields. People starved, and yes they escaped. What next Spike ? Are you a holocaust denier too?

https://www.britannica.com/event/Gre...-Irish-history

Yeah, they all came for the green beer and to be Boston and New York cops and fireman on luxury liners.

The other jerk, not Egan but Mulvaney, had shamrocks in his suit jacket as he gleefully announced the slashing of PBS, the Foundation for the Arts and Humanities, Meals on Wheels, after school lunch programs and all foreign famine relief.. which in mass cost less than a fraction of the tax cuts for the wealthiest proposed in the same budget. Ryan and all the other Uncle Patties in their green ties would gag a maggot and make a rotten potato smell good.

Now if you want to say weeelll, there really was enough food, the people just didn't get it and starved because of British colonial greed and policies, it would square even better with the heartless clowns in D.C. now https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...d-by-capi.html

Either way, oh yes they starved. Oh yes they suffered, and oh yes they fled and escaped to the joys of Hell's Kitchen which were by comparison paradise.

The Irish Prime Minister let Drumpf have it in the sea of green at the White House. In part he said
    "The Irish have contributed to the economic, social, political and cultural life of this great country over the last 200 years," Kenny said.
    The Irish "came to America because, deprived of liberty, deprived of opportunity, of safety, of even food itself, the Irish believed, four decades before Lady Liberty lifted her lamp, we were the 'wretched refuse on the teeming shore','" Kenny said.
    "We believed in the shelter of America, and the compassion of America, and the opportunity of America. We came, and we became Americans."

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/pol...ca-great-again
    Last edited by akerue; 03-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.

History may be written anyway historians wish. The Brits stole all their food and timber and exported 10%
    of the sick, dying and criminals to the shores of the US & OZ. Maybe you should catch up on your history.
    I know my Irish history.

Bonny Portmore
    Loreena McKennitt

O bonny Portmore, I am sorry to see
    Such a woeful destruction of your ornament tree
    For it stood on your shore for many's the long day
    Till the long boats from Antrim came to float it away.

O bonny Portmore, you shine where you stand
    And the more I think on you the more I think long
    If I had you now as I had once before
    All the lords in Old England would not purchase Portmore.

All the birds in the forest they bitterly weep
    Saying, "Where will we shelter or shall we sleep?"
    For the Oak and the Ash, they are all cutten down
    And the walls of bonny Portmore are all down to the ground.

O bonny Portmore, you shine where you stand
    And the more I think on you the more I think long
    If I had you now as I had once before
    All the Lords of Old England would not purchase Portmore.

Famine
    Sinéad O'Connor

Okay, I want to talk about Ireland
    Specifically I want to talk about the "famine"
    About the fact that there never really was one
    There was no "famine"
    See Irish people were only allowed to eat potatoes
    All of the other food
    Meat fish vegetables
    Were stipped out of the country under armed guard
    To England while the Irish people starved
    And then on the middle of all this
    They gave us money not to teach our children Irish
    And so we lost our history
    And this is what I think is still hurting me

See we're like a child that's been battered
    Has to drive itself out of it's head because it's fightened
    Still feels all the painful feelings
    But they lose contact with the memory

And this leads to massive self-destruction
    Alcoholism drug addiction
    All desperate attempts at running
    And in it's worst form
    Becomes actual killing

And if there ever is gonna be healing
    There has to be remembering
    And then grieving
    So that there then can be forgiving
    There has to be knowledge and understanding

An American army regulation
    Says you mustn't kill more than 10% of a nation
    'Cause to do so causes permanent "psychological damage"
    It's not permanent but they didn't know that
    Anyway during the supposed "famine"
    We lost a lot more than 10% of a nation
    Through deaths on land or on ships of emigration
    But what finally broke us was not starvation
    But it's use in the controlling of our education
    School go on about "Black 47"
    On and on about "The terrible "famine""
    But what they don't say is in truth
    There really never was one

So let's take a look shall we
    The highest statistics of child abuse in the EEC
    And we say we're a Christian country
    But we've lost contact with our history
    See we used to worship God as a mother
    We're sufferin from post traumatic stress disorder
    Look at all our old men in the pubs
    Look at all our young people on drugs
    We used to worship God as a mother
    Now look at what we're doing to each other
    We've even made killers of ourselves
    The most child-like trusting people in the Universe
    And this is what's wrong with us
    Our history books the parent figure lied to us

I see the Irish
    As a race like a child
    That got itself bashed in the face

And if there ever is gonna be healing
    There has to be remembering
    And then grieving
    So that there then can be forgiving
    There has to be knowledge and understanding

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    You are full of shit. The entire potato crop rotted in the fields. People starved, and yes they escaped. What next Spike ? Are you a holocaust denier too?[/url]

Spike your poems and an anecdote from a singer are no substitute for history. You may think you know Irish history, perhaps better than her taoiseach (Prime Minister) , but you do not. Please go to Boston's Southie to the deadly serious neighborhood tavern's and line them out as they pass the hat for the boys back home. They'd appreciate your history lesson. Go to a Dublin or Belfast pub, hoist a few with the lads, stand on a chair and let them know their history. One less Medicare account for Ryan and Mulvaney to worry about. Your insistence that you know more about Irish History than her Prime Minister, Encyclopedia Britannica or Irishcentral's scholarly research are a wee bit like Trump knowing more about Iraq than the Generals. Sinead O'Connor and a poet as your historical bedrock are less than Breitbart on the Holocaust. In the end, after hastily trying to prepare your thesis, you would end up mumbling.. who knew Irish history was so sad and so complicated.

" WASHINGTON — On a calendar of foreign visitors that includes President Xi Jinping of China and Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, the annual visit by the taoiseach of Ireland to mark St. Patrick’s Day should have been a delightful distraction for President Trump.

Mr. Trump, after all, owns a golf resort on the country’s west coast. He has stocked his White House and cabinet with Irish-Americans. And as he never tires of pointing out, he has marched in more St. Patrick’s Day parades in New York City than he cares to remember.

Yet on Thursday, Mr. Trump found himself in a roomful of kelly-green-clad lawmakers in the Capitol for the Friends of Ireland luncheon, being lectured by Enda Kenny, the Irish prime minister, or taoiseach (pronounced THEE-shakh), about the virtues of America’s immigrant legacy and the contributions that immigrants had made to the country.

“There are millions out there who want to play their part for America — if you like, who want to make America great,” he said, shooting Mr. Trump a pointed gaze as he appropriated the president’s campaign slogan. “You heard that before?” he said, to nervous titters.

Mr. Kenny did not refer to Mr. Trump’s travel ban on visitors from six predominantly Muslim countries, which is now tied up in court. He stuck to the issue that has long preoccupied Irish officials: the estimated 50,000 Irish who are living in the United States illegally, and who are at risk of being deported if Mr. Trump delivers on his campaign pledge to round up undocumented immigrants.

“We would like this to be sorted,” Mr. Kenny said, calling for these people to be given a path to citizenship. “It would remove a burden of so many that they could now stand in the light and say, ‘Now I’m free to contribute to America as I know I can.’ That’s what people want.”

“All they want is the opportunity to be free,” he added, choking up momentarily.

It was a somber moment during a ritual that is normally as convivial and rancor-free as any in Washington. The last seven such visits by Mr. Kenny featured good-natured gibes about former Vice President’s Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s long-winded speeches or President Barack Obama’s habit of toasting the taoiseach with water-filled glasses.

Again! He also said ""The Irish have contributed to the economic, social, political and cultural life of this great country over the last 200 years," Kenny said.
    The Irish "came to America because, deprived of liberty, deprived of opportunity, of safety, of even food itself, the Irish believed, four decades before Lady Liberty lifted her lamp, we were the 'wretched refuse on the teeming shore','" Kenny said.
    "We believed in the shelter of America, and the compassion of America, and the opportunity of America. We came, and we became Americans."

But what does he know?
    Last edited by akerue; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Had to laugh at your Encyclopedia Britan nica reference and your
    anecdotal blather about liquor drinking sots in Boston.

That you would use a 250 yo British publication as a source for
    your "Irish famine" argument is ignorant. The EB was a washed
    up information source 50 years ago. They wrote the history from
    their viewpoint. Fortunately there are many sources that disagree
    with your lame viewpoint including the papist suppression of the
    Irish.

You don't have a clue akerue. There was no famine. It was genocide.