Composting Toilets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composting Toilets

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Arrow Composting Toilets

I'm in the market for a decent, but not too pricey (they sure can get expensive!!!) efficient and not too huge composting toilet. There is a water supply if that's necessary.
    I've looked around on the internet and find this Sun-Mar http://www.sun-mar.com/index.html looks pretty decent and they sell 'em out of Sparta, Mo.
    If you've experienced this whole 'nuther getting away from the septic system experience, please let me know what you've found out.
    Thankey
    Last edited by DaBee; 03-11-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

I put in a 1 gal. Air-Flusher years ago.....................and still I feel guilty.

For after odor we keep housed small stick matches and a little cup for the ones that have burn off fumes, after a beautiful and deeply releaving exit from the colon for anyone's use afterwards.
    That works well as methane is a top speed burn off and all odors are gone in an instant.
    All guests that don't understand Air-Thrown unit is that it will first spray you ass first, try to then suck it into tomorrow if you don't JUST CLOSE THE LID AND THEN FLUSH.
    Our paper poo-poo soiled butt wipes are group burnt as the weather permits while living in the woods so the monthly treatment of the septic is not hampered by paper.
    Last edited by shuggie; 03-12-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: buyers guide helper
    shuggie

Deb...ck PM

We had a Biolet in our Texas house and it worked well at first, but needed to be emptied way too often. When you have to empty one of these before it has had time to fully compost, it is awful. If I had known this unit was too small (It's rated for 4 people full time, but it was just my wife and me most of the time) I would have gone for the bigger Sun Mar instead, even though it sits so high it needs a step up. I learned my lesson the stinky way. If you have a party at your house, you are screwed, you will have to empty it the next morning and it will smell exactly the way you think it will, as will your whole house until you get it aired out. If that house hadn't been on a slab, I would have used an under the house unit, which are pricey, but cheaper than a new septic and very conservative on water.
    On the bright side - these don't smell at all the rest of the time. You can't even smell anything while you are going to the bathroom since they are vented through the ceiling with a constant suction going out. It eliminates the need for a bathroom exhaust fan.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Mar-C...-s4aAmJt8P8HAQ
    Last edited by liquidwindows; 03-11-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks for that feedback, LW. Good to know the Sun-Mar is at Home Depot. It doesn't show that on the S-M site.

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

I live in a certain amount of terror when I hear the words, "composting toilet." I had one in Colorado and I spent a lot of time shoveling awful things into contractor bags. The wife after me made my ex replace the dagnabbed thing for home resale value. Bless her.

My advice, since you asked, is do not skimp on site prep. If the manufacturer says you need a 22.5 degree angle for installation? Believe them. If it takes blasting or 365 sweaty days with an Arkansas toothpick? Do it. Composting toilets are finicky little gadgets.

Plus, as liquidwindows points out, they operate with a constant fan. If you have traditional Carroll County electricity... as in... BOB love those CCEC folks who get out there rain, shine, sleet, snow, or ice storm to keep the power on but, let's face it, some of our wires were dragged down the holler by mules and we do have the occasional problem...you'll want to be ready for having the outhouse IN the house. Turns out, there is at least one thing that duct tape can not fix.

I'm a certified, recycle fanatic granolahead. Having spent nine long years with a composting toilet? It sounds like a great idea. But, unless you're setting up a sheep camp that's only occupied by one person for one month out of the year, can't say I recommend it.

That's strong! But I will certainly take your information and sentiments under advisement. One question, Kim - do you think it's possible that there have been some decent improvements made in the composting toilet industry to get past some of these major problems?
    I will certainly ask about all of the problems you had when talking with the dealer and getting feedback from previous owners of the models I'm looking at.
    Thanks so much for your input.

Kim Yonkee is offline Ward? Don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver?

Yes I'm sure there has been improvement over the years. Good luck.

FWIW, the only people I've ever talked with who had composting toilet systems that were actually happy with them and living full time in the house were those who had the biggest under the house commercial systems {rated at 8 to 10 people full time, don't believe the ratings} with excess moisture drains that extended well beyond the house. A friend who has the giant Sun Mar all in one is happy with it, but he only lives in the house a few months per year, so it most often has months to compost before it is emptied.

Cool ONE Gal. Flush Water

Quote Originally Posted by shuggie View Post
    I put in a 1 gal. Air-Flusher years ago.....................and still I feel guilty.

For after odor we keep housed small stick matches and a little cup for the ones that have burn off fumes, after a beautiful and deeply releaving exit from the colon for anyone's use afterwards.
    That works well as methane is a top speed burn off and all odors are gone in an instant.
    All guests that don't understand Air-Thrown unit is that it will first spray you ass first, try to then suck it into tomorrow if you don't JUST CLOSE THE LID AND THEN FLUSH.
    Our paper poo-poo soiled butt wipes are group burnt as the weather permits while living in the woods so the monthly treatment of the septic is not hampered by paper.
    We saw them first in Santa Fee long ago.
    shuggie