Frost This Weeked

Thread: Frost This Weeked

Default Frost This Weeked

Could be hazardous in low lying areas. Peach trees could
    be doomed. There is an obscure spray solution available
    but you would have to act very fast in order to get it by
    Friday.

Beaver Lake off Mundell Rd, Eureka Springs

It's WAY too early for most things coming up. I've been picking asparagus for 2 weeks. My hostas are 4 inches tall! The peach tree got a fatal fungus last year with the cold, damp spring. No more worrying about the blossoms. But you can't buy a peach that taste like a peach at the store.

I'm cautious and expecting frost through the end of April and into May. It's happened so many times. I have planter boxes that I put the peppers, tomatoes and cucumber in and keep them on a concrete patio that heats up during the day. Then I drag them inside the garage for the cold spells. It does seem to give the plants a good head start, they go in the garden later. All the veggies in the garden now can take a frost. Cabbage, Kale, snow peas, onions, arugula, etc.

I hope we make it through without losing too much. Spring is always a glorious time to see everything emerging anew. It always inspires me!

Debbie

You can mitigate the frost by about 4 to 5 with a tincture
    of valerian. About 5mls of valerian to 2 gallons of water.
    Spray as late...maybe after dark if possible.
    The valerian speeds up the metabolism of the plant, thus
    increasing the warmth of the plant. I'll be spraying it out
    this weekend. Buy valerian here.........
    https://www.jpibiodynamics.org/produ...n-preparation/

1 ml for $3.25

Pinnacle Mountain, Western Madison County

I had ice in a bucket by the porch this morning and the Daffies look annoyed...the stove feels good and the ladybeetles are thinning out finally.

I've been spraying the last three mornings around 12AM to 3AM.
    Dark, cold and lonely out there. So far, I'm still smiling. Scary
    25.6 last night. Could be lower tonight. Dunno how long I can
    continue to dodge the bullets. Thursday, coming up, is going to be
    another round of freezing.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

A little over a week since you posted, Spike - how does your garden area grow? Was last night a freezer for you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.

Sure has been a battle in the lowlands. Sprayed four nights in a row starting on the
    18th. Appeared to survive until the fourth day when it hit 20. Surely killed all exposed blossoms. Somewhat fortunately, there were many secondary (slower) opening blossoms that popped open a few days later. One can see the bee activity which would indicate those blossoms had viability.

Sprayed again on the 25th (25) and the 28th (28). Looks like I may have another
    spray happening this weekend. Keeping an eye on it.

Some lessons here. Varietal choices in our zone are very important. Were I to do it over again, I would avoid Carolina Belle and Contender. They blossomed earlier than the Redhaven. And the Redhaven continues to open new blossoms where the others appeared to open all at once. I will replant any new peaches with Redhaven. Although Redhaven is a semi-cling, all the reviews place it at the top of the taste chart and I would agree.

Second, the choice of planting site is equally important. Were I (if I could), to plant over again, I would choose a northwest to northeast site. Soil warmth on the southern faces tends to be higher than the opposite, thus encouraging earlier blossoming.

over the troll bridge in the Land of Kings

Still is looking like maybe upper 20's in the lower lying areas Saturday night. Such a beauty of a day right now with the sun so shiny, it's hard not to plant annuals. But I'll wait until next week - at least. No tomatoes or peppers until when the soil warms up - maybe mid-May.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~it's all about choices.